Battery ground strap location on M/C 5.0 0m012817

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, having some issue while starting boat only on the "first start" of the day. It just started happening recently and Iv'e tried to track it down. So when I start the engine I get an annoying noise ( not a clunk) but it does start (always) If you shut it right off and restart it make no noise, just starts as normal and even if it sits for couple hours it will restart with no noise.
It seems to be an electrical issue as this morning I pulled all the plugs to see if during the night I was getting water intrusion through my exhaust elbow's. No water signs at all. Now after I "first" start it ( by the way I've always started it it using the switch to both batteries) and I restart a few times using both batteries (no noise) its only when I switch to Batt 1 or Batt 2 then I get the noise...... switch back to both and starts no noise... Ive cleaned the terminals, no wing nuts etc, cleaned the ground post near the batteries and that seemed to help for a bit. Now I'm wondering where the ground is on the engine itself.. I also checked the nut on the starter, nice and tight...batteries fully charged. by the way I've had the boat four years and use it every day. 1550 hrs.
Each Battery reads 12.79 with voltmeter (eng off) while running 14+
Any thoughts
Thanks Rick

Last edited:

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Problem sounds similar to what I was dealing with not to long ago. Although my start sounded as if I had weak batteries. I thought I had all my terminals clean until I pulled them off again and used 40 grit sand paper. My ground terminals are located on the port side near the batteries on the back of the block on a stud. I'd try a voltage drop test and see if you can narrow it down to a single component.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Describe the noise, or better, video it and post it on youtube and link it here.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Describe the noise, or better, video it and post it on youtube and link it here.

Hi Chris tried that and then starter now "gone" Now when I turn key just high pitched spin no engaging almost sounds like teeth are gone.

Question now is.... I have limited tight access to the starter, How many bolts hold it on???

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another update got into eng compartment grabbed hold of the starter. It was floping in the wind. The bolt close to me had sheared off and was in the bilge. I tightened the other bolt and set it back in place and tried to start different noise now. I dont think there are any teeth on the starter.

achris

By the look of that first attempt in the video you may have hydro-locked the engine. Pull the plugs and check for water.

Bondo

Staff member
Another update got into eng compartment grabbed hold of the starter. It was floping in the wind. The bolt close to me had sheared off and was in the bilge. I tightened the other bolt and set it back in place and tried to start different noise now. I dont think there are any teeth on the starter.

Ayuh,.... A Chevy starter will not work with only one bolt in it,.....

Ya need to pull the starter, 'n get the broken bolt outa the block,....

Hopefully it's only the starter teeth torn up, 'n not the ring gear teeth,...

A New starter, 'n New starter bolts might save it,......... or not,....

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, could you please provide me the correct number for OEM Mercruiser complete starter assembly 0m012817

Fun Times

Staff member
50-807904A1
Which has superseded to 50-863007A 1.
50-863007A1STARTER MOTOR ASSEMBLY This is the new style permanent magnet starter. If replacing an older starter you will also need 2 new bolts, part number 8053432

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...680.png&inbr=2697&bnbr=40&bdesc=Starter+Motor
50-863007A1STARTER ASSY 807904A1$224.91$202.77$0.00$0.008.76 Lbs
Part Number Description Superceded
From
List
Price
Price
Core
Chg
Cont
Chg
Ship
Weight
Each
Order
Quan

achris

Thanks FT. I didn't look at the supercession history, just the number that came up in my EPC...

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again guys..... I puled out the starter today and bloodied and bruised to prove it. But no luck, I bought right angle drill adapter, left hand bits, extractor and I worked on it for 1+ hrs, not even a dent! Of course I'm working on my back upside down.. Next week motor to be pulled.
And yes I will only allow OEM
Thanks!
Rick

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
UPDATE Yesterday I was determined to get that bolt out! I still tried a few left hand bits and put as much pressure as I could being upside down in the shape of a pretzel and had no luck. So I decided to just drill out the bolt starting with several 1/4 inch bits, then 3/8 Then I finally reamed It out as far as I could with the correct bit to tap a 7/16th thread for the new size bolt. Put the new O.E.M starter on, bolted it up started it several times and all is good!
It now starts so quiet, I guess its been going for a while. Thanks for all your suggestions..... Rick