water pump impeller

evwickham

Cadet
Can I replace the water pump impeller on a mc1 which I think is a pre alpha model with out removing the whole stern drive? It is on a 1976 slick craft with 165hp engine.

Alumarine

Captain
You can remove just the lower half to replace the impeller.
It's not hard to remove the whole drive though and gives you an opportunity to inspect u-joints and bellows.

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"Can I replace the water pump impeller on a mc1 which I think is a pre alpha model with out removing the whole stern drive? It is on a 1976 slick craft with 165hp engine."

Absolutely. Just split the bottom half of the out drive. Do a YouTube search and you will find several videos to walk you right through it.

JK

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Can I replace the water pump impeller on a mc1 which I think is a pre alpha model with out removing the whole stern drive? It is on a 1976 slick craft with 165hp engine.

Yes, just drop the lower half and then treat it as a 'normal' water pump service. BTW, no such thing as 'pre-alpha', you have an MC1...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Like the guys say, you can, but it is a good idea ti remove the whole outdrive, so you an check the alignment, gimbal bearing and lube the U-jouints and driveshaft. Also for a first timer it is way easier to put the drive bcak together on the bench.

evwickham

Cadet
Thanks to all of you for your help. My friend and I were able to remove both lowers and replace to impeller kits in one after noon. Hardest part was refilling with lube.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Thanks to all of you for your help. My friend and I were able to remove both lowers and replace to impeller kits in one after noon. Hardest part was refilling with lube.

:thumb: