Can't engaged reverse

tbonz

Cadet
I got a 140hp alpha 1 gen 1. With the lower off I can engaged forward and reverse manually. Once I put the lower back on, forward and no reverse. I got a new shift cable and that didn't help either. I'm new to working on boats. I got the shift cable off and of with a 9/16 spark plug socket, with another socket on the end of it. Didn't need the special socket.....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Do you mean, with the gearcase ( lower half of the outdrive) you ca move the control handle int reverse, and with it on you can not. If that is them case then the gearcase is in reverse rather than forward when you bolted it back on. In that case, turn the lower shift shaft all the way CLOCKWISE, turn the prop counterclockwise until it locks and bungee it in place ( forward) and put it back together. If that is not it, Need to answer to a couple of questions: with the gearcase on, can you move the control lever all the way back and forth, or does it jam when you try to put in reverse? When in forward, does the prop lock when you turn it COUNTERCLOCKWISE?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
How old is the unit, do you kknow how to do the test for a worn shift spool?
Is there any corrosion on the lower splined shaft resulting in excess play with the upper brass shoe?
Did you install the new cable with less than 2 threads visable?

tbonz

Cadet
With the gear case on, I can't lock the prop clock wise(reverse). It's justs clicks clock wise. With the gear case off, the prop locks counter clock wise and clock wise.

tbonz

Cadet
The boat is a 83. Not sure what you meant about 2 threads visible on the new cable. And the gear case does not install smoothly. It's like its something is hold it back just a little. The case don't fit tight without tightening the 6 bolts holding the case on.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If the nut part of the shift cable is not tightened all the way and leaves threads visable , you wont get reverse. Most times the nut is almost flush with the rear of the case

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Sounds like you put it back together correctly. Probably just a matter of adjusting the shift cable.

tbonz

Cadet
Thanks for all the help. I will take the gear case off again tomorrow and see what i can come up with. I can take the inter cable out and make sure all is good. Something is holding it up. This is my first time working on a boat but nothing seems so hard to understand. I can see that the lower shift shaft is not all the way to the reverse(like 10 o'clock position, with 10 being reverse, 11 neutral and 12 forward) when the gear case is connected to the outdrive

Bondo

Staff member
The case don't fit tight without tightening the 6 bolts holding the case on.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I donno what ya got goin' on, but this statement is concerning,....

Do ya have any back history on this drive,..??

Ya shouldn't have to use the nuts to seat the drive,.....

tbonz

Cadet
I got the gear case off today and the shift cable bolt wasn't tightened enough. I had put it on at night the first time. Thanks for all the help and it works perfect now. Locks good in forward and reverse now