Mercruiser vibration and manifolds question. PLEASE HELP!!

thumpn1969

Recruit
New to the forum. I have always been a Jet boat owner but for the last year have owned a 1996 vip valiant 4.3 lx mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 I have done a few modifications on it. last year went off without a hitch, ran perfectly went from 45 mph to 51 mph with a 21 pitch 4 blade aluminum mercury spitfire prop. when I first bought it replaced all bellows and gimbal bearing, upgraded to a 4bbl carb and put thru hull exhaust on it, This year i decided to remove the thru hull exhaust and replace the engine coupler for maintenance . upon first fire up and running on muffs I noticed water in the oil after 10 min. shut it down and upon inspection found that the typical one piece manifold failure on the left side. I replaced with GLM aluminum pieces and the water went away. The following week I took it for a test spin. idled normally ran out fine until i left the no wake zone.. throttled up and it vibrated badly!!! scared the crap out of me! ... i backed off the throttle and returned to idle. put it in neutral and reved it.. still vibrated but not as bad. went back into gear and took off.. vibrated all the way to 3,000 rpm and then got much less barely noticeable! . I decided to return to the trailer and bring it home. I did notice that it was worse with the trim up higher and made a knocking noise. I had decided it is possibly something i missed on the permalube u joints...

brought it home and removed the drive. re checked the joints and they are flawless. keep in mind it is a 1996 but has less than 250 hours on it. i decided to have my wife start it while i looked up the gimbal and OMG the couple is wobbling everywhere ! I had purchased this coupler from Doug Russel marine on ebay. and Damn was that a mistake! They are no help and insisted it was something I had done! my alignment is perfect one finger in on the tool barely 2 fingers out.. The tool goes in as easy as that lady who loves the bar scene locally here!. They said it is a private label part.. layman terms means (Chinese junk ! ). So I removed the coupler and decided to do some measuring. it appears at the end of the coupler it is about 9 millimeter out from one direction to the other with it being about 3 mm out at the base its enough you can see it by visual looking at it straight on and by video its horrible looking. I can post videos and pics but im trying to resolve this has anyone else had this problem?? i ordered a mercruiser oe coupler and am installing this weekend. ONE OTHER THING I NOTICED ... Inside the oil fill extention is a milky substance . the oil is clean on the stick with no signs of water . when i removed the risers i can see water in the exhaust portion of the manifold. standing water at that. is this normal when not running and sitting for 45 min? the plugs look ok no signs of water washing. any advice would be helpful ty! as mentioned can send ics and vids.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hello and :welcome: to iboats...

Water in the 'Good Luck Marine' manifolds... Now, there's a surprise! Yep, well know issue with GLM manifolds. I'll bet you have the thin green paper gaskets too, yes? You need to pull the manifolds and have the elbow surfaces machined flat. You need to toss the green paper gaskets and get genuine Merc carbonised (thick grey) gaskets...

As for the coupler... Unfortunately it's proving the rule "you get what you pay for". Do you realise if you change the 'he' in cheap for 'r' you get.... Genuine = $251, Cheap rubbish=$170 (I looked it up). So, what did you save? $70 on the purchase price, but now you have to buy the good one, AND pull your engine again to replace it... All of a sudden that 'saving' is looking quite expensive, yes?

Quickest and 'cheapest' way to do a job is to use good quality parts (preferably OEM) and do it right the first time.

I'm not meaning to give you a lecture on the error of your ways, I'm just hoping that in the future, when someone is wanting to 'save' money like this, they come across this thread and see how a short-term saving is a long-term expense... I spent $11 dollar more on my trailer light set-up a few years ago. Everybody said I was mad, but since then, most of those people have had to redo their trailer lights, at least once, I'm still running my original set-up. Who ended up spending the least (hint, it's not any of them)....

Chris........

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The run-out on that coupler is unbelievably Bad,....

'n, Ya those GLMs tend to not be flat at the gasket surfaces,....

I bought a set of iron manifolds a few years ago, 'n nearly lost my motor,...
Pulled 'em, 'n went to my local machine shop to get 'em Flattened,...
The inner circle was over .020" Lower, than the outer face,...
So far, so good,....

Also, as Chris says, get the carbon/ metallic gaskets from Merc,....

thumpn1969

Recruit
They came with the good thick carbon metal gaskets. I will take the manifolds to work and put them on our head surfacer today. Im just agrivated that something as complicated as a engine coupler Doug Russel marine would stand behind

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
File a Paypal claim. They should take that coupler back, it's useless.

thumpn1969

Recruit
File a Paypal claim. They should take that coupler back, it's useless.
I Thanks everyone for the advice. I pulled it last night and took pictures and measurements its molded in the housing crooked. way offf almost a 1/2 inch on one corner! They better do something . everything I have read about them is BAD .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I always buy OEM manifolds and every other part pretty much for my boat.

NHGuy

Captain
I have bought OE stuff from Doug Russell, good prices on them too. I bought oe exhaust manifolds there. If I can ever afford it I'd get high end exhaust.
The GLM manifolds seem like a good design with their internal runner ish design. Only issue is the mating surfaces. We must hear about them a few times each year.
I am surprised they are still producing those bad ones. You'd think they would just redo the casting or start machining the problem surfaces. They would never get away with that in the auto parts business.