1989 Mercruiser 3.0 carb rebuild

achris

More fish than mountain goat
ACHRIS, you mind giving me some insight on the spring needle vs solid needle? I'm thinking I'm going solid, just because that's what came out of it, and don't want to chance stalls on sharp turns. I'm open to some guidance/insight if you have any.

Put back in what is original (which may or may not be what you find in there)... No point re-inventing the horse.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just a note to keep in mind....final carb adjustments need to be made in water with boat moving for the most accurate results. Things change a lot from setting on the trailer on muffs to being underway.

johnnypac

Seaman Apprentice
Just a note to keep in mind....final carb adjustments need to be made in water with boat moving for the most accurate results. Things change a lot from setting on the trailer on muffs to being underway.

Other than idle and mixture screw, what else do I need to consider when I get it in the drink?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As long as timing has already been set, that's it...

fishrdan

Admiral
Put back in what is original (which may or may not be what you find in there)... No point re-inventing the horse.

Agree, try the old parts and see what happens. I rebuilt my carb once and it worked perfect until a week later, then bogging/dying on holeshot. The "new" accelerator pump swelled up and stuck itself in the bore, not ethanol resistant? Luckily, I had the old parts with me and put the old accelerator pump back into the carb, problem solved...

searaytn

Cadet
My apologies for not keeping up with the thread very well. Below are the video links I followed for teardown and rebuild. With videos like this, I didn't think my writeup would add much value. Plus, considering my "success" you may be better not following my instructions.

I need to go back and look, but I'm pretty certain my accelerator pump didn't have a check ball. I do remember installing a return spring, though.

searaytn

Cadet
Here is the link to the teardown video. For some reason, I couldn't add two links to my previous post.