Alpha 1 Gimbal Housing dissasembly/overhaul

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering of anyone might be able to shed light on their experience on taking apart the gimbal housing for Alpha 1s? How difficult is it to separate the upper and lower swivel pins, and remove the gimbal ring? Are there any pparticular tools that make the job easier such as impact tools?
I have the transom completely disassembled, and all the running gear out of the boat. My goal is to clean and paint it all up before reinstalling onto transom. Pictures are welcomed and encouraged!

Thanks for the help!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The best thing to make the job easier is the factory (NOT clymer or seloc) manual. Got one? (you'll need manual #6)

Last edited:

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright, yeah I have the seloc, but it's not that detailed. I'd like to really see what's involved, everything is functional on mine, but I'd like to have it all fresh before reinstalling. Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
with the transom off the boat you can remove the steering arm and pin. . the lower pin is the humpday one. remove the cotter pin, support the housing and try:
heat, penetrating oil, tapping with a drift,a puller/press type tool. Avoid beating it to death, you`ll only crack the housing .
UntitledM1_zpsjmqmefi8.jpg

Last edited: