Mercruiser Alp[ha 1 (2001) Stern drive, bearing question

aayjay

Seaman Apprentice
Mercruiser Alp[ha 1 (2001) Stern drive, which part have friction bearings and what parts have roller and how much lube can I do without disassembly?

Bondo quote:

"Ayuh,.... I've also got 2 greaseguns,... 1 hangs on my pickup with plain ole Napa chassis grease in it,...

The other is in my "Boat Kit Bucket", 'n is fulla 2-4-C,...

I use the 2-4-C for any, 'n all the Friction bearin's in the boat fleet I maintain, includin' My barges,...

Any of the Roller type bearin's, 'n the coupler get the chassis grease,...

blackrider's u-joints are Roller types, so, I wouldn't worry 1 bit 'bout it, at All,... ;)"

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the outdrive is filled with gear oil, the gimbal bearing (if greasable) , the hinge pins (if greasable) the upper and lower steering pins(if greasable)

Whats the question??

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The hinge pins, 'n steerin' pins are the only friction bearin's at the drive,...

The gimbel bearin' is a ball bearin',... Use chassis grease for it, 'n the u-joints,...

Use either on the shaft splines,...

aayjay

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for your replies, the question is can I get to the grease fittings on the u-joint or gimbal bearing(s) or is it a direct application like when doing wheel bearings? I see the grease fittings onthe back of the drive, they were covered with rubber caps (first time I've seen caps still on a 15 year old boat..).

achris

More fish than mountain goat
2001 should have sealed unis, no greasing required. All the 'friction bearings' are non-greased, and the gimbal bearing, if not a sealed bearing, is greased through the grease nipple midway down the starboard side of the transom housing. If there's no nipple there, that's a sealed unit as well...