Q #1 Closed Cooling? Q #2 Port side dipstick & Tube 1977 gm350 rebuilt

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1983 Formula 25 SC Express, Merc 260. Just got new logs, elbows, rebuilt motor (GM350LAFHOT), alternator, water pump, shift cable, ect.

Question #1 The dipstick hole is on the port side vs the old starboard side and I can't seem to find one ( tube and dipstick), any suggestions?

Question #2 Since all this has been replaced could I / should I attempt to convert this salt water boat to a closed cooling system? Where do I start to figure out how to do that?

My wife and I were talking and asked if closed water cooling was possible why wouldn't every one do it...

Don't know how
To expensive
Not enough room
Just not possible

Being that this motor has never seen salt water, I would think this is the time if ever to convert.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... #1, Merc puts the dipstick in the pan, 'n ya plug the hole in the block,...

If all ya got is the hole in the block, it takes the usual SBC dipstick, available 'bout everywhere parts are sold,....

#2,... Sure Go for it,... Search up San Jaun Engineerin', outa somewhere up in the pacific northwest,...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
"Too expensive", for the mass market. Factory closed cooling will probably add a couple of thousand dollars to the cost of a new boat. In fresh water your manifolds and risers will last a long time, (maybe for the lifespan of the hull) so the buyers are not worrying about costs 20 years down the road. In salt the life of the components is a lot shorter, but still replacing parts is less costly than the initial cost of closed cooling.

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
"Too expensive", for the mass market. Factory closed cooling will probably add a couple of thousand dollars to the cost of a new boat. In fresh water your manifolds and risers will last a long time, (maybe for the lifespan of the hull) so the buyers are not worrying about costs 20 years down the road. In salt the life of the components is a lot shorter, but still replacing parts is less costly than the initial cost of closed cooling.

Okay that being said does not exactly apply in my situation. This is an old hull and a new motor and manifold. If I was going to go closed system now would be the time (right?) before any salt water went through it?

Just got off the phone with San Jaun Engineering. The kit is MC350 for my application BUT I can't use it unless I move the power steering pump. They said Merc used to sell a relocation kit but that was a long time ago. Anyone know how to move the power steering, to lets say the lower starboard side?

Let's just say the financier of this project would like the closed cooling system even if were around 1500$ and so far the kits are available for around 1200$ so far.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
This is an old hull and a new motor and manifold. If I was going to go closed system now would be the time (right?) before any salt water went through it?

Ayuh,.... Look into gettin' a kit with a large enough exchanger to include the manifolds, with the block,.....

That leaves just the risers seein' the brine,....

Fun Times

Staff member
I can do that I just don't know where or how to move the PS pump.
See if you can call them back and get an old Merc part number for the relocation kit they are talking about. Then start searching the kit number.....You never know, one may popup someplace online.

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sadly I did ask them on the phone and they told me I would have to figure it out. I'm trying. It is almost like I would need to install the CCS first and then figure out where to put the PS pump.

I also asked them If I could put the heat exchanger somewhere else in the boat and they said "no, it is designed to mount to the engine across the top"

kbsunlovers

Cadet
You might call San Juan again and ask if they are still building kit MC304. The HE mounts above the bell housing - may be a tight fit depending on your engine room or doghouse - but leaves the accessory area at the front of the engine unmolested. Another advantage to closed cooling is the ability to add a water heater and hydronic cabin heat.

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All right guys (and gals) a gentlemen at ocean east marine has got me covered. Sea Camp an off shoot of San Juan can get me a FULL CCS that I can mount on the starboard side and not mess with the PS pump or anything else for that matter.

Just pulled my stern drive apart (with a grinder on the most forward bolt that was frozen) it was full of garbage no wonder every thing went south. Getting a whole new Alpha 1 drive and starting fresh.

Thank you all for suggestions and help.

David, Melissa and R.I.P. Ashley

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If any one is still paying attention to this thread, I don't have the dipstick thing figured out. I have an 1983 LOG style exhaust and now a motor that's oil pan does not except the oil pan dipstick on the starboard side. It has the engine dipstick hole on the port side and I can seem to find a dipstick tube that will fit and come up between the valve cover and exhaust manifold. There all to fat or short, both.

I understand from an above post that Mercruiser used the pan dipstick.

Is there any way to use the port engine block hole to run a tube to accurately measure the oil level? That will fit between the valve cover and manifold? Or is there another option vs changing oil pans?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Have a look at the later Mercruiser V8 inboards. They have a 'quick drain' tube, and the latest dipstick tubes connect to the same point as the drain tube. It's not into the block (the hole in the block is plugged). You may have to buy the complete tube and dipstick and all the adaptors. Or do what I did when the p-ss-weak fitting sheared, used a 12mm bolt, centre and cross drilled it and now run with just the dipstick connected. I pull the oil out through the dipstick so don't have to worry about their stupid little drain tube....

Chris.......

Last edited: