Mercruiser 5.7L misfiring after bellows installation

J.zent

Recruit
Is there any reason after having new bellows installed that an engine would start missing and backfiring? They were installed when it was winterized last fall, and yesterday was the first time starting it this year. It barely started and was spitting and sputtering, ran very rough, and it kept shutting off. After a little while, I couldn't get it restarted.

Bondo

Staff member
Is there any reason after having new bellows installed that an engine would start missing and backfiring?

Nope,.... No connection,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'd sooner think last years gas, or a need of a tune up in general,....

thumpar

Admiral
I am leaning towards gas, tuneup or carb rebuild (if it has one).

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Is there any reason after having new bellows installed that an engine would start missing and backfiring? They were installed when it was winterized last fall, and yesterday was the first time starting it this year. It barely started and was spitting and sputtering, ran very rough, and it kept shutting off. After a little while, I couldn't get it restarted.

:welcome: to iboats

Agree with others and will ask, did you have the work done or do it your self?

J.zent

Recruit
Had it done by a service dealer. He'd mentioned a new shift cable and neutral safety switch. It was at times like it wasn't getting any gas and sometimes like it was missing, as if a timing issue - didn't know if shift cable not syncing something right or not...??

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
You don't get timing issues by letting the boat sit.

Like everyone else said, check the carb, tune up, etc. If you want to eliminate the shift interrupter, just temporarily disconnect it.

alldodge

Staff member
Had it done by a service dealer. He'd mentioned a new shift cable and neutral safety switch. It was at times like it wasn't getting any gas and sometimes like it was missing, as if a timing issue - didn't know if shift cable not syncing something right or not...??

The items replaced would have nothing to do with this issue as Bondo mentioned.

What is the engine serial number or the year of the boat. Serial numbers are best and we prefer them but the year will get us in the ball park