No engine crank and no Smartcraft gauges

pchansen

Cadet
I just got done replacing my raw water impeller on my 2005 5.0 MPI W/ Bravo3 Outdrive. I got everything back together despite Mercruiser and Searay's best efforts to make the pump nearly impossible to R&R. I was re-attaching the positive lead to the alternator when I hit the dipstick with the other end of the wrench. I got a good spark from that. Yes I should have shut the batteries off but I forgot. I went to start the engine and I received the normal singular beep but the Smartcraft gauges failed to power up. When I turned the key to the start position- Click! from the start relay. Nothing else. Clearly I've blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker (Hopefully). I've searched high and low and can't find a fuse that's blown. The three little 20 amp fuses underneath the little cap located next to the ECU are fine. The ignition fuse under the helm is good. The 50 Amp circuit breaker on top of the engine seems fine as I don't think it's popped. I can't push it in. In any case there is only 3.7 volts running through it. The only other fuse I can think of is on the starter and I can't even see the starter! The boat is a 2005 Searay 220 Sundeck.

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, welcome to iboats!:)

Some newer engine models (not all) may have a hard to find accessories fuse near the 10 pin cannon plug that if it fails it could create a no start condition.

Here is a link that starts at where to look for the fuse.http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...on-4-3-tahoe-q4-please-help/page5#post5866601

If you don't have the fuse, have a look at the whole topic as it may help you out as well. Let us know, good luck.:)

alldodge

Staff member
I just got done replacing my raw water impeller on my 2005 5.0 MPI W/ Bravo3 Outdrive. I got everything back together despite Mercruiser and Searay's best efforts to make the pump nearly impossible to R&R. I was re-attaching the positive lead to the alternator when I hit the dipstick with the other end of the wrench. I got a good spark from that. Yes I should have shut the batteries off but I forgot. I went to start the engine and I received the normal singular beep but the Smartcraft gauges failed to power up. When I turned the key to the start position- Click! from the start relay. Nothing else. Clearly I've blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker (Hopefully). I've searched high and low and can't find a fuse that's blown. The three little 20 amp fuses underneath the little cap located next to the ECU are fine. The ignition fuse under the helm is good. The 50 Amp circuit breaker on top of the engine seems fine as I don't think it's popped. I can't push it in. In any case there is only 3.7 volts running through it. The only other fuse I can think of is on the starter and I can't even see the starter! The boat is a 2005 Searay 220 Sundeck.

:welcome: to iboats

Check the 90AMP fuse on the starter post
Merc Elect fuel pump wiring.jpg

pchansen

Cadet
Well, unfortunately it doesn't look like like I have the hidden 15 amp fuse. That would have been nice. I can see the 90 amp fuse, I just can touch it. The access is so poor back there. I believe I'll have to remove the starboard riser to simply access the fuse. What a PITA!! If I actually do access the fuse, I think I'll relocate it to a more accessible place- LIKE SEARAY SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

alldodge

Staff member
Well, unfortunately it doesn't look like like I have the hidden 15 amp fuse. That would have been nice. I can see the 90 amp fuse, I just can touch it. The access is so poor back there. I believe I'll have to remove the starboard riser to simply access the fuse. What a PITA!! If I actually do access the fuse, I think I'll relocate it to a more accessible place- LIKE SEARAY SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

To see if the fuse is blown, put your meter on the Alternator output lead (should be Orange wire) and see if you have battery voltage (12V). The positive battery cable goes to the top starter stud, the fuse is connected to the stud, the ALT wire is connected to the other side of the fuse.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that fuse is attached directly to the starter and supplies power to the 50A breaker . check there for 12v first. And why would you remove the wire from the alt ?

pchansen

Cadet
that fuse is attached directly to the starter and supplies power to the 50A breaker . check there for 12v first. And why would you remove the wire from the alt ?

I had to remove the alternator and it's bracket to allow access to the raw water pump. I realize (now) that one can remove the pump without removing the alternator but at the time it helped gain access. Live and learn.

pchansen

Cadet
No voltage at the positive lead of the alternator nor at the 50 amp breaker so now I know what needs to be done.

pchansen

Cadet
Thank you! I've got my 11 year old daughter lined up to crawl into the engine compartment to see if she can get a wrench on it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

pchansen

Cadet
Success! I was able to lay crosswise on top of the engine and with the help of a mirror reach the fuse. All is right in the world (except my back and arms). It fired up immediately and I had really good water flow and pressure ( the original reason for working on the engine). Time to clean it up and get out on the water. Thanks to all who helped me out!