350 small block dip stick issue

chadcummings86

Recruit
Hi everyone, i have a 350 small block in my boat, i bought my boat last year. when inspection the motor there was no dipstick. when i purchased one, and tried to put it in the tube. it was block. has anyone saw this before. thank you

alldodge

Staff member
Hi everyone, i have a 350 small block in my boat, i bought my boat last year. when inspection the motor there was no dipstick. when i purchased one, and tried to put it in the tube. it was block. has anyone saw this before. thank you

:welcome: to iboats

How about an engine serial number or year of the motor?
Also have any pics?
Also what kind of motor is it (Merc, OMC, VP)?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
the number on the back of the engine says GM 3970010

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That's just the castin' number, which says it's a 350 Chevy from between '79, 'n '85,....

What drive is behind it,..??
Was it marinized by Merc, Volvo, OMC, or Whomever,..??

Generally speakin', marine motors have the dipstick goin' into the oil pan, 'n the hole in the block that Chevy uses is plugged off,...

Bondo

Staff member
it has a alpha one outdrive, i would have to pull motor to put one in then?

Ayuh,.... You'll have to look,...

I'm guessin' the original oil pan mighta rotted out, 'n was replaced with an automotive pan,...
If that's the case, you could pull the plug outa the block, 'n put a Chevy dipstick in there,...
You'll be able to check the oil, but won't be able to do an oil change through it,...

The motor would have to come out, to put a Merc oil pan on,...

Donno why ya posted this in this forum,....
I'll move it to the Merc I/O forum for ya,.....

alldodge

Staff member
it has a alpha one outdrive, i would have to pull motor to put one in then?

Using the year info from the casting I'll provide the following. Here is a pic showing the way the oil pan should be for a 78 to 82 motor. The tube is item 15 (P/N 72950) and the dipstick is item 16 (P/N 32-72539).
350 chevy.jpg