3.0 Mercruiser water seeped into oil pan?

Last fall my battery went dead on my boat in a fresh water slip. Due to some family medical issues, I didn't make it to the lake until approximately 2 weeks after battery went dead. Needless to say my bilge was full of rain water about 1/2 way up the starter. I towed the boat in. I filled the block with approx 2 gallons on antifreeze until it ran out the lower unit. I didn't check the oil at that time. I removed the cover this spring and found oil in my bilge. I checked the dipstick and I had water on it, no oil. I pulled the engine and water ran out near the front by the oil pan gasket right below the harmonic balancer. The pan and front time chain cover is not rusted. When I poured oil in, the oil just ran out in the same area. I then pulled the pan off and it was full of water. I have inspected the freeze plugs and they are fine. I see no corrosion or rust on the crank, rods, bearings, bearing caps, etc. Is it possible water seeped in thru the pan gasket when my battery went dead in the fall, then the water in the pan froze and broke the oil pan seal? I am thinking of putting on a new pan gasket and putting it back in. Please note, the motor has never been started since the flooded bilge... Any ideas or thoughts?

wrench 3

Commander
I've ran into two similar situations, but without the freezing. I always figured the water came in through the crank seals. Have you disassembled the oil pump and checked for rust or ice damage? I'd also check the oil pan for distortion. Especially at the bolt holes.

I was considering just putting a new oil pump in it due to surface rust on the pickup screen. I do not see any deformities in the pan. I am not positive that the water froze but there is a damn good chance it did.

Bondo

Staff member
Last fall my battery went dead on my boat in a fresh water slip. Due to some family medical issues, I didn't make it to the lake until approximately 2 weeks after battery went dead. Needless to say my bilge was full of rain water about 1/2 way up the starter. I towed the boat in. I filled the block with approx 2 gallons on antifreeze until it ran out the lower unit. I didn't check the oil at that time. I removed the cover this spring and found oil in my bilge. I checked the dipstick and I had water on it, no oil. I pulled the engine and water ran out near the front by the oil pan gasket right below the harmonic balancer. The pan and front time chain cover is not rusted. When I poured oil in, the oil just ran out in the same area. I then pulled the pan off and it was full of water. I have inspected the freeze plugs and they are fine. I see no corrosion or rust on the crank, rods, bearings, bearing caps, etc. Is it possible water seeped in thru the pan gasket when my battery went dead in the fall, then the water in the pan froze and broke the oil pan seal? I am thinking of putting on a new pan gasket and putting it back in. Please note, the motor has never been started since the flooded bilge... Any ideas or thoughts?

Ayuh,.... Did ya Drain the block, 'n manifold 1st, or just pour in the antifreeze,..?..??

Either way, I'd pressure test the block's coolin' passages, before ya fix anything,....