Finding engine specs? 1979 Mercruiser 225

Lwapo

Seaman
I need to order a new distributor for my motor. The previous one is damaged beyond repair.

I looked around and decided on the David Unified Ignition system.

However, when I go to order it, they are asking for information that I don't know. Things like...

Compression Ratio
Cam Duration
Valve Lift

I guess they do this so that they can set the distributor up before sending it to you.

I cannot find anywhere that this this info. I looked in the must have info for DIY'ers and the Adults Only sections of the site and I gave google some attention and treid to search that way.

No luck.

Could anyone help int me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... How much is that DUI distributor,..??

The Delco EST is a pretty sweet deal, 'n a drop in, plug, 'n play,.....

Tell Us more 'bout yer motor,..??

1979 225 sounds like a 350 Chevy with a 2bbl. carb,.....

If Davis needs those specs, just tell 'em, dead stock, 1979,....
Sounds like they think ya got a racin' motor for a rocket boat,....

Lwapo

Seaman
Sorry, I should have mentioned... The motor looks to be based on a Ford 302. (Dizzy in front).

I would imagine if I simply told them what motor it is, they may be able to find out. However, to avoid issues, I'd love to provide them with as much info as possible.

I figure better safe than sorry!

Bondo

Staff member
Sorry, I should have mentioned... The motor looks to be based on a Ford 302. (Dizzy in front).

I would imagine if I simply told them what motor it is, they may be able to find out. However, to avoid issues, I'd love to provide them with as much info as possible.

I figure better safe than sorry!

Ayuh,.... Ok, just tell 'em it's a 302 Merc, '79, dead stock, with whichever carb that on it, a 2bbl. or more likely a 4bbl....

I'm S u r e they'll know what ya need,....

Fun Times

Staff member
Long shot here but any chance of you having the engine serial number? And are you sure it's a 1979 225 and not a 228? Also is it a stern drive or an inboard.