Power Steering 4.3L

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
My power steering fluid is leaking some place. When it is full of fluid and even half empty the power steering works fine so I believe the pump itself is ok.The hoses on the port side all seem wet whereas the hoses on the starboard side are completely dry. How would I know which hose to replace or just cough up the $$ and replace them all on the port side? Is there a way to tell if the power steering cooler is the problem?
Thanks.............. Dave

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the high pressure hose runs from the pump to the cylinder,you would know real fast if it was leaking. the other hose from the pump to the cooler and from the cooler to the steering unit is a very low pressure hose,. A lot of times the hose clamp it a bit too big and you cant tighten it correctly,. it needs a slightly smaller clamp.
You would have to remove it and pressure test it for leaks. sometimes a bad solder joint or a improper winterization can crack a joint.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
the high pressure hose runs from the pump to the cylinder,you would know real fast if it was leaking. the other hose from the pump to the cooler and from the cooler to the steering unit is a very low pressure hose,. A lot of times the hose clamp it a bit too big and you cant tighten it correctly,. it needs a slightly smaller clamp.
You would have to remove it and pressure test it for leaks. sometimes a bad solder joint or a improper winterization can crack a joint.

Hose clamps are tight, but I think it is leaking where the hose goes on the cooler from the pump. Being 28 years old I imagine the cooler could the problem. I will take if off, inspect it and pressure test it.

Bondo

Staff member
Hose clamps are tight, but I think it is leaking where the hose goes on the cooler from the pump. Being 28 years old I imagine the cooler could the problem. I will take if off, inspect it and pressure test it.

Ayuh,.... The line from the pump, goes to the actuator,....

The line from the actuator goes to the cooler, then back to the pump,.....

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Ayuh,.... The line from the pump, goes to the actuator,....

The line from the actuator goes to the cooler, then back to the pump,.....

Gotcha.... I had my flow direction backwards.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the hose clamp may be tight but its a bit too big and cant clamp properly.If you take a small hose clamp and tighten it all the way you will see the problem with it.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Been a while since I solved the problem. The hose from the cooler back to the pump was the problem. After I removed the alternator I was able to get a good view of where it was leaking. The hose clamp was not all the way tight.