Testing thunderbolt IV ignition module?

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found something on testing here, but i do have spark. Just no advance. Wanting to find info on testing the module. Resistance values ect.

Bondo

Staff member
I found something on testing here, but i do have spark. Just no advance. Wanting to find info on testing the module. Resistance values ect.

Ayuh,.... Like Bruce says, ya test the advance with yer timin' light,.....

I Love the Lucy AD,.... :D

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, not young enough for the i love Lucy reference. Please keep to honeymooners references only please. So..... Nothing anywhere on resistance values or operating voltages?

alldodge

Staff member
Ok, not young enough for the i love Lucy reference. Please keep to honeymooners references only please. So..... Nothing anywhere on resistance values or operating voltages?

One of these days Alice zoom pow right to the moon :D :rolleyes: Here is the trouble shooting guide

TBV Troubleshooting.jpg

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks AD. But my motor runs. Just doesn't seem to be advancing the timing. Wondering if the module is damaged but still operating somehow. That's why I wanted to check resistance and such of the TB IV controller.

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks AD. But my motor runs. Just doesn't seem to be advancing the timing. Wondering if the module is damaged but still operating somehow. That's why I wanted to check resistance and such of the TB IV controller.

Ayuh,... Put yer timin' light on it, 'n rev it up,..... Does the timin' mark move,..??

If so,.... Change the fuel filter,.,....

Fun Times

Staff member
What engine model/year do you have? you mention thunderbolt 4, please know the diagram above is thunderbolt 5.;)

At this time I can't recall there being any published specifications for the thunderbolt 4 or 5 system.

Like mentioned, the best way to know if the module is advancing is to watch it using a timing light like you'd set ignition timing or more importantly checking/setting total advance timing which those specs might be available when we know your engine model.

One quick test to know if your ignition model wasn't working at all causing a no start situation, you could use a test light connected to 12v battery and touch the negative side of the coil... The test light should be flashing. With an open mind of your ignition system and ignoring the tests below are for a Dodge vehicle, see test 4 for an example.
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chr...gnition-coil-3

But since your engine runs, the test above should be invalid to you....but it's still easy to check otherwise.;) Though I'm not sure of this theory but a thought just crossed my mind, it seems feasible that maybe the test light will flash faster as you advance the RPM should the timing go up. < If you try it, let us know.:)

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
What engine model/year do you have? you mention thunderbolt 4, please know the diagram above is thunderbolt 5.;)

At this time I can't recall there being any published specifications for the thunderbolt 4 or 5 system.

Ayuh,.... I don't believe I've ever seen printed test values anywhere either,.....

I've got a copy of the book by Dennis whatshisname, that has the advance tables, per module numbers, but no test values,....

alldodge

Staff member

Crud garbed the wrong one, oh well stuff keeps happening

I would repost but you said you don't need that. Here is the advance curve (hope I don't grab the wrong one)
TB4 advance print1.jpg

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Funtimes its a motor from a 96-97 astro van. 4.3 vortec, internally balanced. ( I know I know. but I didn't put it in.) Ignition module is TB IV.

Bondo, changing fuel filter this weekend. I haven't had time to throw a wrench on the boat. Timing and whether its advancing or not check is my first thing.

Alldodge where do you find all this info. You are like google or something. Thank you. At least if it is advancing I can check to see if its in spec.