no pressure on outdrive trim

thestigmach1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im looking at a 1969 imp santee v with a mercruiser 160 in it. its a project boat and hasn't run in a few years. I know about boats in general and the inboard engine is essentially just a car engine so im good there. But this will be my first inboard or I guess technically stern drive and I don't know much about outdrives. Right now there is no pressure on the cylinders so the outdrive can be lifted up and down freely by hand. Its mounted securely on the boat it just pivots on the trim freely. Will that most likely cure itself after I get fluids in it or is there a bigger problem there. Also can I run it at low speeds to see if the components work with it loose like that.

alldodge

Staff member
Im looking at a 1969 imp santee v with a mercruiser 160 in it. its a project boat and hasn't run in a few years. I know about boats in general and the inboard engine is essentially just a car engine so im good there. But this will be my first inboard or I guess technically stern drive and I don't know much about outdrives. Right now there is no pressure on the cylinders so the outdrive can be lifted up and down freely by hand. Its mounted securely on the boat it just pivots on the trim freely. Will that most likely cure itself after I get fluids in it or is there a bigger problem there. Also can I run it at low speeds to see if the components work with it loose like that.

:welcome: to iboats

If there is oil in the pump reservoir then sounds like your pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If oil is system you can run the pump and not hurt anything. Here is the manual to the system

http://web.cemr.wvu.edu/~mathews/boat/pdf/manual/Chapter Eighteen.PDF

thestigmach1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thanks for the manual, its hard to find them for an older boat like this. Would it be loose if there is no fluid in the system at all then?