Vacuum hose

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
2002 Sea Ray Alpha 1 Gen 2. There is a vacuum hose that comes down back of motor on port side rear of motor that I think goes to the cool fuel setup. Any idea on how it is routed? Thank you. Rich

alldodge

Staff member
2002 Sea Ray Alpha 1 Gen 2. There is a vacuum hose that comes down back of motor on port side rear of motor that I think goes to the cool fuel setup. Any idea on how it is routed? Thank you. Rich

What engine, have a serial number?

alldodge

Staff member
It goes from the intake down to the fuel pressure regulator (Item 13) which is part of the cool fuel.
regulator.jpg

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I am correct my fuel regulator is on top of motor port side. If I am right where does the hose go?

Fun Times

Staff member
If I am correct my fuel regulator is on top of motor port side. If I am right where does the hose go?
On your engine/Merc marine engines, that's used as a fuel pressure pulsation damper. It's doesn't control pressure like on a GM truck engine. The regulator is down low as seen in ALLDodge's diagram.

In the link below, hose # 21 on top of the intake run towards the rear of the engine then down to/under the portside exhaust then forward to the regulator which is 19 & 27 in AD's diagram.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...+and+Fuel+Rail

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. Thank you. The reason I am checking is because last year the boat was running rich. When I took boat out to winterize it would not start. Backfired barely ran but got it started to winterize. Tried to start first time this year and same thing. After some cranking and kicking back it finally ran. Restarted probably 10 times that day and no problem. If throttle is opened slightly motor sputters then smooths out. Went out Sun. morning no start. Ignition parts not old.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Ok. Thank you. The reason I am checking is because last year the boat was running rich. When I took boat out to winterize it would not start. Backfired barely ran but got it started to winterize. Tried to start first time this year and same thing. After some cranking and kicking back it finally ran. Restarted probably 10 times that day and no problem. If throttle is opened slightly motor sputters then smooths out. Went out Sun. morning no start. Ignition parts not old.

This issue can either be fuel pressure related or the Idle Air Control valve. Most often its the IAC (item 16) and/muffle (item 6). Suggest removing the IAC and muffler and clean them. You can use CRC throttle body cleaner and don't get it on the electrical contacts. Clean the muffler (foam rubber) with soap and water
IAC.jpg

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
New iac and tps last year. I know that new things can be bad but they did not help.