Rewinterize?

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
So today I picked up a 97 bayliner 2355 cierra. We ran the 5.7 on muffs. Question is do I have to run antifreeze thru it again? Here in Ny 12533 the temp tonight will reach 22 for a short time. As a precaution I removed the petcocks to drain, then I removed the largest and seconed largest hose off the thermostat housing and forced antifreeze thru them, should I be ok? temp will be in the 40-60 range from here on out it looks
Thank you
Bill

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo217691.jpg
    photo217691.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Definitely a tough call, looks like weather in the Northeast will only dip past freezing at night a few times in the next ten days. Typically safe as long as it doesn't stay at that temp for long stretches. On the flip side, its cheap insurance to just do it. You already got antifreeze into the main areas it sounds though and that is a core part of winterizing as a whole, so you are probably ok :joyous:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya Gotta Drain the Block, 'n manifolds,....

If Drained, it's fine, regardless the temps,.....

Just pourin' antifreeze like ya did, does Nothin' to help,....

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys.........thanks for the reply, I drained the four blues petcocks.........so I hope I'm fine, how bout the out drive? Anything to worry about!

1ruralmailman

Seaman
the out drive,should drain it self.hopefully you didnt run this without gear oil in there,so you should be good to go.

NHGuy

Captain
Open drains on each side of the block (2), drains on each manifold (2), remove the big J hose on the circulating water pump. Sounds like you got the right drains. Only other thing would be take a coat hanger and stick it in the petcock holes to break out any rust coating. The rust skims over in the water jacket and traps water. Might still be some there from the last go round.
Tilt the drive down so it won't hold much water or snow in the bottom, the upper part drains from gravity on it's own.
Don't do the anti freeze thing.

NHGuy

Captain
One cold night probably didn't cause trouble, many could. it takes a bit of cold for a long time to get the block cold. Plus it's in a box so it takes days to really get cold. If you have one of those infrared thermometers you can check the block temp, but unless the engine box was open overnight you could be fine. I hope so!

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again everyone,
NH Guy- I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about the anti freeze, why wouldn't you run it? Seems like a saftey net...........could it cause damage?

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks again everyone,
NH Guy- I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about the anti freeze, why wouldn't you run it? Seems like a saftey net...........could it cause damage?

Ayuh,.... Because, Air, just don't Freeze,.....

Poorly installed antifreeze gives a false sense of safety, when unmixed in a undrained block,.....

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just a suggestion here, if I get my boat out early or postpone my season into cold weather, I just add two 100 watt bulbs inside the engine compartment. I have a couple of the aluminum deflectors with clamps on them that hold up to a 100 watt bulb and I lay these on the floor inside the engine compartment and it keeps the engine warm enough that it would never freeze. Slide the doghouse back over and you have a warming oven to keep the engine from freezing. I use two just in case one might burn out.