Inline 6, 165, 250 GM,motor, Intake/Exhaust manifold warped?

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All. i have been posting here since picking up a new-to-me boat in March of 2013. The issue I have now is an exhaust leak the I traced to the head/manifold joint which is leaking; yes, the bolts are tight and a new gasket was used on motor assembly (rebuilt motor). The head was done at a reputable machine shop, so I can only assume the manifold is warped. The manifold is from a 1978 donor engine. The question is if the manifold can be successfully re-decked at a machine shop, or is a new manifold in order?
Thank you.
Russ

Bondo

Staff member
Hello All. i have been posting here since picking up a new-to-me boat in March of 2013. The issue I have now is an exhaust leak the I traced to the head/manifold joint which is leaking; yes, the bolts are tight and a new gasket was used on motor assembly (rebuilt motor). The head was done at a reputable machine shop, so I can only assume the manifold is warped. The manifold is from a 1978 donor engine. The question is if the manifold can be successfully re-decked at a machine shop, or is a new manifold in order?
Thank you.
Russ

Ayuh,.... Hard to say, without pullin' it off, 'n identifyin' exactly what's wrong, 'n exactly where,.....

pureinsanity

Seaman Apprentice
Should be able to just have it machined unless you get it off and find something really wrong with the manifold. I had some really warped ones surfaced down before with good results.

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All. Thanks for the responses. As it turns out, the manifold rusted away at the 2-3 and 4-5 ports. The 4-5 was the worst. The machinist took off .017" to restore the face. BTW, the gasket that was on it was one of those green ones. I was not impressed and bought an NOS Quicksilver to replace it with.