Is My Starter Going Bad? 2000 5.0 M/C 0m012817

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys,,,,,,,, So This would happen occasionally, On the first start of the day, when starting its cranks smooth, but then makes a couple of loud sounds, not " clanking" like hydrolocking just a couple of annoying LOUD sounds. Now the last few days... Its doing it every FIRST start of the day. After that, you can start it a hundred times with no noise. 1500 hrs on engine and I use the boat EVERY day so its not sitting days between use.
Any thoughts, or test?

Bondo

Staff member
Hi Guys,,,,,,,, So This would happen occasionally, On the first start of the day, when starting its cranks smooth, but then makes a couple of loud sounds, not " clanking" like hydrolocking just a couple of annoying LOUD sounds. Now the last few days... Its doing it every FIRST start of the day. After that, you can start it a hundred times with no noise. 1500 hrs on engine and I use the boat EVERY day so its not sitting days between use.
Any thoughts, or test?

Ayuh,.... Pull the spark plugs, 'n look for water,.....

What sorta LOUD sound,..??

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Bondo! I believe I found the issue..... I cleaned all the battery connections and one of the battery cables was not really tight. I don't think it was getting the full power it needed.. Thanks!, as always... Rick