Checking alignment

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can I check engine alignment without alignment tool by and can I do it without taking upper and lower unit apart? Thank you. RR

wrench 3

Commander
You will need the alignment tool. You have to remove the out drive but you do not have to separate the upper from the lower.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can I check engine alignment without alignment tool by and can I do it without taking upper and lower unit apart? Thank you. RR
The tool is around $30-$40, probably worth just having it around, especially if you plan to do your own work. I took my drive off for the first time this year and will be buying the tool to have handy.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Like Wrench says, Ya can't align nothin', without the tool to do it, 'n the Whole drive has to come off, but it don't need to be split,....

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see many different tools. I have a Gen 2 drive. Will any alignment tool that says Gen 2 work? Most say they work on many models. Thank you. Rich

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got tool. Removed drive and alignment is good. I remember that shifter has to be in drive to do job. All back together and no reverse, if I slightly push linkage it engages. If not it just misses. Had enough and quit for today thanks. Rich R.

alldodge

Staff member
Got tool. Removed drive and alignment is good. I remember that shifter has to be in drive to do job. All back together and no reverse, if I slightly push linkage it engages. If not it just misses. Had enough and quit for today thanks. Rich R.

Drive only needs to be in forward if your removing/installing the drive, doesn't matter for alignment check. Shifter can be in any position for alignment.

Check adjustment for reverse issue. If after adjustment and it still has an issue then you may need a lower shift cable

wrench 3

Commander
Check adjustment for reverse issue. If after adjustment and it still has an issue then you may need a lower shift cable

Just to clarify, AllDodge is talking about doing the full shift cable adjustment procedure.

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any ideas on why the cable would go out of adjustment for reverse? Never had a problem and had drive off a few times over the years.

Bondo

Staff member
Any ideas on why the cable would go out of adjustment for reverse? Never had a problem and had drive off a few times over the years.

Ayuh,... Over time, the inner cable wears a groove in the outer casin' which causes the cable to loose length of travel,...

You can probably readjust it, but plan on changin' it in the future,...