2004 8.1 496 bravo I hard to steer

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got my boat back from the shop for a bad starter mount and now its hard to steer. Only thing is it was there sitting for 8 months. Of course the motor had to be pulled to make this repair.

Steering was fine before this.. Anything I should check for? boat only has like 140 hours on it.

alldodge

Staff member
Just got my boat back from the shop for a bad starter mount and now its hard to steer. Only thing is it was there sitting for 8 months. Of course the motor had to be pulled to make this repair.

Steering was fine before this.. Anything I should check for? boat only has like 140 hours on it.

Have you checked the power steering fluid?

If you have fluid and the installer started the motor after reinstall without filling the power steering system the pump could have burned up

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... At the transom, disconnect the end of the cable, just portside of the tiller at the end of the actuator,.....

Does the wheel spin freely,..??
Does the drive move freely,..??

If not, loosen, 'n slide back the big nut on the cable, starboard side of center, 'n pull the end of the cable outa the aluminum tube, it should move freely,...
If it ain't corroded inside the aluminum tube, 'n the wheel still don't spin freely, the cable is set-up/ corroded up/ worn out,....
Replace the cable, or/ and helm as a "Kit",....

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
I checked power steering fluid its full. I will look at your suggestions tomorrow Bondo. Thanks.