NEWBIE!! HELP PLEASE!! SHIFT CABLES AND SEA PUMP ON 1994 STINGRAY

jgeesy

Recruit
I am new to the boat world, I traded off my old Harley for this 94 stingray. I was told it needed a starter and a sea pump. Was told it quit pumping water and was shut down immediately. I have replaced the parts and I am about ready to fire it up. I am wondering if the sea pump on the engine is the only one or if there is some kind of intake pump in the outrive. also I have found that when I shift the boat to forward or reverse, it is not moving the shift lever on the motor. The lever can be moved by hand which is engaging the prop but the cables don't seem to be functioning right. Its a mercruiser 454 big block, bravo one out drive. recap of the issues:

1. looking for a little explanation of the water pump system prior to firing it up with the new pump

2. shift cables not engaging the shift lever.

Thanks in advance! hope I have provided enough information

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats. . .

I always cringe when I hear (or read) the "I was told" sort of things. Anyway , The cooling water system for the Mercuiser/Bravo uses a pump on the engine, nothing in the outdrive itself. Most folks use 'earmuffs' to supply water to the outdrive when running the engine on land.

As far as the shifter. It sounds like the mechanism has been disconnected at the engine. There is a linkage assembly the attaches to the starboard side of the engine (which you have most likely seen). It is responsible for taking the control cable from the helm and 'changing the direction' to go into another cable and through the transom assembly and into the outdrive. It sounds like you found the cable that leads to the outdrive. So, perhaps it is a matter of finding the control cable from the helm, if you have not done so, and seeing that it is attached to the shift mechanism.

Google some mercruiser illustrations and pictures, or even get an online manual for your engine. . . that always helps.

Posting the serial number of your engine (which is located either on the top cover or on a tag just above the starter) will also help on anything specific to your engine. However, the things that you mentioned are pretty standard across the models.

alldodge

Staff member
:welcome: to iboats

Your raw water pump is on the starboard side of the engine down low and belt driven. There also should be a mechanical fuel pump attached to it. Your pump also has gear lube in it which needs to be checked. If the fuel pump starts to leak it puts gas in the internal chamber. If left unchecked over time the lube is diluted and then the seals are damaged and the pump bearings will need to be replaced. See link it my signature for further discussion.
Merc sea water pump.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
I am new to the boat world, I traded off my old Harley for this 94 stingray. I was told it needed a starter and a sea pump. Was told it quit pumping water and was shut down immediately. I have replaced the parts and I am about ready to fire it up. I am wondering if the sea pump on the engine is the only one or if there is some kind of intake pump in the outrive. also I have found that when I shift the boat to forward or reverse, it is not moving the shift lever on the motor. The lever can be moved by hand which is engaging the prop but the cables don't seem to be functioning right. Its a mercruiser 454 big block, bravo one out drive. recap of the issues:

1. looking for a little explanation of the water pump system prior to firing it up with the new pump

2. shift cables not engaging the shift lever.

Thanks in advance! hope I have provided enough information

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Did ya lube the new impeller puttin' it in,..??

What I don't like 'bout the motor mounted raw water pumps, is at the dock, they're a flooded entry pump, as they should be,....
On the wagon, they've gotta pull vacuum to pull water from the muffs, up through the drive, to the motor,.....
They don't like to pull air, water is different,.... hose pressure no doubt helps,...

An Alpha drive, with the impeller in the drive, it's a couple inches from the muffs, 'n hose pressure pushes that far, no problem,....

As for yer shiftin' issues, I'd be pullin' the controller apart, 'n lookin' for why it ain't workin',.....

wrench 3

Commander
I'm agreeing with Bondo. The throttle only control is supposed to spring load back to normal operation when the controller is returned to neutral. Maybe it hasn't for some reason.

jgeesy

Recruit
Thanks for all the info. I got the pump replaced and did lube the impeller. I had read about the vacuum issue with the water muffs. That's why I have been hesitant to run the motor on the muffs. I didn't know if there was a way to prime to the pump or anything. I have not had a chance to dive in to the shift issue yet, but can I assume the cable that runs from the motor to the outdrive is not the problem since I can shift the boat in to gear by hand from the motor? The throttle cable works fine, so I am thinking the cable from the helm to the shift lever is either off at the help or broken or seized somewhere along the way. If I sound way off tack someone please let me know.

thanks again!

Fun Times

Staff member
So I am thinking the cable from the helm to the shift lever is either off at the helm or broken or seized somewhere along the way. If I sound way off tack someone please let me know.
As long as the throttle only button at the shifter is not stuck pushed in or maybe broken internally than from your description the shift cable sure sounds suspicious. If the button was pushed in to raise the engine idle without going into gear for example, the "throttle only button" should pop out when returning to neutral.

Keep in mind that a bravo drive does not liked to be "shifted" without either preferably the engine running or at the very least someone turning the propeller or damage can occur to the drive and/or shift cable system.

If you don't see the shift cable between the shift control handle and the shift plate assembly mounted on the engine moving while shifting between forward neutral and reverse gears then yes it's either the cable or control unit. You may not know until you pull the control assembly apart and see what's going on.

Hope it's easy, good luck.:)

thumpar

Admiral
Did you make sure to backflush the system to make sure there were no pieces of the old impeller left?

thumpar

Admiral
Take the outlet hose off the sea water pump and then the inlet off the thermostat housing. Shove a garden hose in the thermostat inlet hose and turn it on.