Old Mercruiser trim pump

Was replacing the trim motor on an old early 70/s trim pump and from inside a piece fell out called valve body cam and didn't see where it came from and don't have any books that old!!

Bondo

Staff member
Was replacing the trim motor on an old early 70/s trim pump and from inside a piece fell out called valve body cam and didn't see where it came from and don't have any books that old!!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... At the top of this forum you'll find Don'S Adults Only section,....

In there, click on the Mercruiser info,.... in there are links to the factory manuals,...

I'm guessin' ya want manual #1,...

Bondo that's a cool resource thank you! However the manual showed the same thing as the parts break down it does not show where it went! In a nut shell this boat is a 1973 I believe we replaced the trim motor becasue it was toast it is the one where the resovoir and motor comes as one piece after replacing it the motor worked it trimmed the drive up and down once each way and then the motor just spins and does not build much pressure. Do you think that the fluid matters I put ATF in it and I know that a lot of these older systems came with motor oil IDK I HATE OLD BOATS!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

alldodge

Staff member
Bondo that's a cool resource thank you! However the manual showed the same thing as the parts break down it does not show where it went! In a nut shell this boat is a 1973 I believe we replaced the trim motor becasue it was toast it is the one where the resovoir and motor comes as one piece after replacing it the motor worked it trimmed the drive up and down once each way and then the motor just spins and does not build much pressure. Do you think that the fluid matters I put ATF in it and I know that a lot of these older systems came with motor oil IDK I HATE OLD BOATS!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

You should use 10W30 or 10W40 in the trim pump. If the reservoir is still full of oil then sounds like pump section needs a rebuild/replace

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Yer description matches every trim pump Merc has used, from start to present,....

'n they're all the simplest of hyd. systems,.... Any light weight oil is fine,....

ebay or craigslist for used,....

iboats has the newest style you can up-grade too,....