Broken Freeze Plug(plastic) - Change Elbow?

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1997 Mercruiser 4.3, over the winter I was taking my freeze plugs out and I broke it off in the riser elbow. I have tried many ways to get it out and I can't. Its in the back portion of the mainfold riser, at the elbow. Can I take that elbow off and put a new one in, put a new plug and hook up the hose ?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Yer description ain't makin' sense, ya got a picture,..??

If it's a blue plastic plug from Merc, drill it, 'n use an easy-out to remove the broken part,....

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I used the wrong terminology, I should have said the riser drain plug. I tried using an easy out, but it crumbled and now it's bored out with only leaving the plastic threads inside the elbow. Can this elbow just be unscrewed and replaced?

Starboardsidedrains.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
I used the wrong terminology, I should have said the riser drain plug. I tried using an easy out, but it crumbled and now it's bored out with only leaving the plastic threads inside the elbow. Can this elbow just be unscrewed and replaced?

Starboardsidedrains.jpg

Ayuh,.... It's the Manifold drain plug,....

Ya, pull the hose off it, 'n unscrew it,.....

Dig out the plastic bits, 'n put it back in,... put pipe dope on it's threads when ya do,...

Then get some fresh plastic plugs from Merc, 'n yer back to boatin',....

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
OK, thanks for the help...I wasn't sure if that "T"/elbow fitting was screwed in or what. I thought I changed the plastic plugs out last year, but I must have missed one and it got old.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
My boat stays in a warmed garage so it couldn't (highly unlikely) it will freeze. I was taking the plugs out last year to drain all the water out.....and for some odd reason this one was extremely tight and the twist part broke off in it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Run a tap through it (keep in mind it is a pipe fitting thread)... It will easily cut out the plastic, and the small amount of plastic remains will have no problem getting flushed out.

Fun Times

Staff member
The T fitting will unscrew but take your time as it may be hard to remove as well. It usually takes some careful effort to get it to unscrew without damaging the fitting especially if yours is plastic material. Let us know how it turns out for you, good luck.:)

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
Well I tried turning, and it didn't want to turn. It didn't feel like a metal, honestly it felt like it was giving/moving but not at the thread portion that is close to the riser. So I stopped, the last thing I want to do is break it off in the riser. Any help or ideas on how to get this "T"/elbow off without damaging anything. ....no torches going to be used

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone help with the actual part number for this T fitting? I can't seem to locate online.....and with the way it's going taking it off it feels like its going to be damaged some. So I might want a back up part.

Bondo

Staff member
Can anyone help with the actual part number for this T fitting? I can't seem to locate online.....and with the way it's going taking it off it feels like its going to be damaged some. So I might want a back up part.

Ayuh,.... When ya order the new blue plugs, order the Manifold elbow drain fittin',....

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
Well just for future reference, if anyone else has this type of issue. The elbow that Merc uses when this motor is new is plastic/PVC type material. Which makes taking this off a total PIA, one its in a tight space, two if it gets heated makes it that much difficult to untighten three hard to get vice grips or a monkey wrench around for a secure fit. Mine ended up breaking off at the threads of course. It took about an hour or so to chip away all the left over pieces....I bought the new elbow from a local marine shop and they now are making them out of metal/cast iron. Which seems like this should have been the correct way to make them from the start! So a heads up, if you're taking this elbow off, BE CAREFUL or you might end up having to take your manifold off to get all the pieces out.

Fun Times

Staff member
Well just for future reference, if anyone else has this type of issue. The elbow that Merc uses when this motor is new is plastic/PVC type material. Which makes taking this off a total PIA, one its in a tight space, two if it gets heated makes it that much difficult to untighten three hard to get vice grips or a monkey wrench around for a secure fit. Mine ended up breaking off at the threads of course. It took about an hour or so to chip away all the left over pieces....I bought the new elbow from a local marine shop and they now are making them out of metal/cast iron. Which seems like this should have been the correct way to make them from the start! So a heads up, if you're taking this elbow off, BE CAREFUL or you might end up having to take your manifold off to get all the pieces out.
Figured you were going to run into that as I've been there a few times myself....Glad you got it taken care of though as you had to do something with it and thanks for letting us know it's still a pain in the tail to remove.:)