Engine woe troubleshooting

Drdestructo

Recruit
Hi all,

Thought I'd tap the mass of experience here.

I bought my boat (Crownline 230BR) for cheap with an overheated engine. Engine is 5.0MPI /Bravo. So far, replaced heads, ECU, cap, rotor, and plugs. Boat had been sitting for a year or so as well. Now, it starts and runs perfect one time and won't start another. When it doesn't start, it cranks great and fires but instead of stabilizing at idle it instead immediately dies. An hour later it starts right up and runs great.

One thing I haven't done but will do next is replace the fuel water separator (anyone have a part number for that to save me a marina trip?). I had the tank drained and refilled but didn't do the separator. When the boat runs, it runs great at all power settings.

Any ideas out there?

Russ

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
clogged filters and fuel injectors , water in the fuel sep, a sticky anti-syphon valve.

Drdestructo

Recruit
A little more info. Last time out, it ran fine. Parked for a few hours. Wouldn't start. Ran the battery down sorta low so I ran to the store and picked up a charger/ booster and extension cords. Hooked it up but decided to crank it rather than waiting for a full charge. With booster on it started right up. Volts are normal on both batteries but the booster allowed it to crank with a weak battery.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I had to learn the hard way, on any trouble shooting. To make sure you have a full charge on the batteries. And make sure the batteries are marine starting ones, not deep cycle ones. ECMs hate those. Dave-R

Drdestructo

Recruit
Update

I replaced both batteries, IAC valve, IAC muffler, and fuel/water filter.

Batteries tested ok but we're only 400cca and tested to 360. For $85 ea I was able to get 850cca batteries so it did.

No water found in separator.

The old IAC valve had an old muffler filter foam stuffed into one side, quite possibly hindering movement. Me thinks that was my problem. Replaced muffler (the one in the proper place).

Boat running good. Fingers crossed, as this was an intermittent problem.

Russ