electronic fuel pump

RenkenII

Seaman
I have an 87 Renken 1750 and am thinking about installing an electronic fuel pump. Can anyone give me some pointers? What do I need to be aware of when looking for a pump and such.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Why do you think you need one? you need the pump, brackets, safety pressure switch , some minor rewiring.. steel tubing, double flaring kit

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class
Be sure to use a "marine" el pump only
I have a holley red marine pump 7psi, Non return line one.
For safety...wire it tru an oil presure switch or ignition pulse relay so pump runs when engine starts and runs only.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I have an 87 Renken 1750 and am thinking about installing an electronic fuel pump. Can anyone give me some pointers? What do I need to be aware of when looking for a pump and such.

Ayuh,.... It would be considerably easier, cheaper, less hassle to just replace the mechanical pump ya got,.....

Mechanical pumps are Very reliable,....

RenkenII

Seaman
I am looking to make the boat more reliable. This has been a 4 year project and I feel this will compliment the electronic ignition I did last season. Is 7 psi what is supplied by the crank driven pump?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
what makes you think electronic anything is more reliable . reliable is fixing it yourself .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Personally I would replace the factory type fuel pump and forget about it. Why inject more possible problems with your setup? I would not install anymore electronic or electrical possible problems and go the safe proven way with factory pump. But that is just my opinion.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I am looking to make the boat more reliable. This has been a 4 year project and I feel this will compliment the electronic ignition I did last season. Is 7 psi what is supplied by the crank driven pump?

Howdy,

My last boat was a 1966 Mark Twain with a GM 230 cu-in L6, and I sold the boat in 2005 or so still in running condition.

The (mechanical) fuel pump was original........I am thinking the fuel pump was pretty reliable.

How much more reliable do you think an electric pump is?

I'm pretty much with everyone else........you're probably better off spending your money on a new mechanical pump (if the old one is defective) and keeping things a little more simple...

Regards,

Rick

SDSeville

Lieutenant
The electric pump in my 470 works great. Last year, the diaphragm on my 28 year old mechanical fuel pump cracked and I went through 3 brand new Mercruiser fuel pumps that were all defective and pumping over 11PSI. I spoke with Mercruiser and they said they were having problems with their suppliers (probably fixed by now) and many of their pumps (at least this particular application) were providing way too much pressure. To get back out on the water, I converted to electric and the boat has never run better. However, I don't think it would actually be more reliable than a properly working mechanical pump (my old one lasted 28 years).

Last edited: