Upgrading 2BBL to 4BBL what modifications?

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all

I've tried long and hard to find a Power Piston to fit into my Mecarb 2BBL including many used marine depots. I was about to order a Recon Rochester Carb which would fit when I have seen a 4BBL inlet manifold on Ebay and a Rochester 4BBL carb for almost the same price as a Rochester 2BBL carb.

What would be the problems fitting a 4BBL Carb e.g. throttle fittings, gear cable fittings. Also would the engine run ok?

Cheers
Ian

alldodge

Staff member
Hi all

I've tried long and hard to find a Power Piston to fit into my Mecarb 2BBL including many used marine depots. I was about to order a Recon Rochester Carb which would fit when I have seen a 4BBL inlet manifold on Ebay and a Rochester 4BBL carb for almost the same price as a Rochester 2BBL carb.

What would be the problems fitting a 4BBL Carb e.g. throttle fittings, gear cable fittings. Also would the engine run ok?

Cheers
Ian

What engine, serial number would be best, or at least year?
There are a lot of 2 and 4 barrel carbs

Bondo

Staff member
Hi all

Cheers
Ian

Ayuh,..... If ya got a V-motor Chevy, yer lookin' at 'bout 20 hp increase,....

Though a rochester wouldn't be my choice, as Merc has gone to the Carter Clone, Weber 4bbl.... Just like the Edlebrock 1409,...

Ya need the carb, manifold, linkages, fuel lines,.... the cable don't care, it'll hook up to the Merc carb linkages,...
'n of course, just like a 2bbl. the 4bbl. will need to be tuned to yer motor,...

The Edlebrock is the quickest, easiest, 'n usually the cheapest way to get there,...

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I realised last night that I stupidly hadn't said what engine, year or boat....doohhhh! However, thank you Bondo for you input. It is a V6 a Mercruiser 1988 Serial no OC345870 in a Sea Ray Seville 18 1988.
Bondo, I appreciate your thoughts, the Rochester seems to be a carb I have seen quite a bit on the internet. If I bought an Edlebrock do you think an amateur like me could make it happen? I don't have a flaring tool for the fuel tube etc etc.
Cheers
Ian

Edit. Just checked the Manifold that's available and its for a Vortex V6 so has 8 bolt holes rather than 12 which mine has. I'll have to stick with a 2BBL, however now you've made me think Bondo, which 2BBL to buy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
I realised last night that I stupidly hadn't said what engine, year or boat....doohhhh! However, thank you Bondo for you input. It is a V6 a Mercruiser 1988 Serial no OC345870 in a Sea Ray Seville 18 1988.
Bondo, I appreciate your thoughts, the Rochester seems to be a carb I have seen quite a bit on the internet. If I bought an Edlebrock do you think an amateur like me could make it happen? I don't have a flaring tool for the fuel tube etc etc.
Cheers
Ian

Edit. Just checked the Manifold that's available and its for a Vortex V6 so has 8 bolt holes rather than 12 which mine has. I'll have to stick with a 2BBL, however now you've made me think Bondo, which 2BBL to buy?

Ayuh,.... If yer gonna stick with the 2bbl..... Put back on what's there, the proper carb,...

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, what do you know. I want to tell all the iboat forum that Fastatv came up trumps. Rick saw my post and remembered I was looking for a Power Piston. He found one in his Parts Locker and sent it over the Pond via one of my wife's closest friends from Indianapolis. I've yet to try it, but that really doesn't matter as it fits the carb and if it doesn't work then hey ho! However I'm sure it'll be fine!

All I can say Rick is a massive thank you for all your help, what a great guy! :)