Mercruiser pre alpha outdrive will not trim down

bayslayer

Cadet
I found a purple wire in the trim pump harness that has power when the down button is pressed. I hooked this wire to the right hand small post on the solenoid and the outdrive goes down. Can anyone tell me what this wire is for because I have not seen it in any of the wiring diagrams I have found?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you need to post a pic of what you got, first you say you power up both motor wires and it does the same thing. Now you say the motor spins in both directions
Now you find a purple wire (purple /white?) and connect it the solenoid and it goes down.
Do you have 1 solenoid or 2 ??????????? Do you have a 3 button trim /tilt on the dash or just a toggle switch for trim and a separate switch for trailer??

bayslayer

Cadet
I will take pics tonight. 1 solenoid 3 button switch on the dash. I took both pumps apart and cleaned them well, there was a nasty build up of old oil that might have been slugging up the check valves.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
DSCN2803_zpsnbkqbxyn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wrench 3

Commander
The purple wire should be going to the limit switch in the up circuit.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the small lug on the solenoid gets a ground wire, not visable is a metal jumper plate from the green down lead to the screw just to the left. The left hand screw is the green wire from the red plug.the blue wire from the red plug goes to the small left lug of the solenoid.

wrench 3

Commander
If the solenoid was working without the ground wire on it, then that's the wrong solenoid. If it's off of a ford marine engine it should be fine the way it is. But if it's an automotive part it could be an explosion hazard. Either way, if he hooks a ground wire to it and activates the solenoid something is going to fry.
I'm also thinking that if there is a problem with the green wire maybe someone rewired the switch to use the purple instead, and eliminated the limit switch.

Fun Times

Staff member
Those are my pics not his
What happen to the pictures in posts 25 & 27? They were good pictures....All that's there right now is a message saying Sorry this person moved or deleted this image...photobucket. :confused: Now wait and see, they'll be there sometime tomorrow as if nothing ever happen due to a software :smash:.:D

DSCN2802_zpsvdtx8b8e.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
had a computer glitch that dumped some pics, will have them back shortly

Fun Times

Staff member
had a computer glitch that dumped some pics, will have them back shortly
Hate when that happens!

I hope you didn't lose much. I copied and pasted the photo from post 34 back into post 25 for you. Thanks.:)