1973 Mercruiser 888 Shift Cable Issue

xeke123

Cadet
Hello!

Have a old Sea Ray and am in the midst of replacing bellows and gimbal bearing and am uncertain on how to proceed with replacing the shift cable bellows and or replacing the shift cable. I have a manual and have done internet research on how do do the project, but it seems the cable I currently have on now (which is the old style with the lock nut located on the forward end of the bell housing) has a support tube that is "crimped" on to the core wire. Not sure if this is the way it is supposed to be on the old boats, but I do not know how to get this off the core wire, so that I can pull the wire out of the cable housing...

Prior to the bellows project, I have had very few issues with the shift cable and am not certain that it actually needs to be replaced, however, I need to get it off to either replace it, or to get the new shift bellows on.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the top or forward part (which attached to the engine) of the shift cable with the cable end guide removed.

My questions are:
1.) How do I remove this shift cable so I can replace the shift cable bellows?
2.) How do I determine if the shift cable needs to be replaced?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4743.JPG
    IMG_4743.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4744.JPG
    IMG_4744.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
Hello!

Have a old Sea Ray and am in the midst of replacing bellows and gimbal bearing and am uncertain on how to proceed with replacing the shift cable bellows and or replacing the shift cable. I have a manual and have done internet research on how do do the project, but it seems the cable I currently have on now (which is the old style with the lock nut located on the forward end of the bell housing) has a support tube that is "crimped" on to the core wire. Not sure if this is the way it is supposed to be on the old boats, but I do not know how to get this off the core wire, so that I can pull the wire out of the cable housing...

Prior to the bellows project, I have had very few issues with the shift cable and am not certain that it actually needs to be replaced, however, I need to get it off to either replace it, or to get the new shift bellows on.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the top or forward part (which attached to the engine) of the shift cable with the cable end guide removed.

My questions are:
1.) How do I remove this shift cable so I can replace the shift cable bellows?
2.) How do I determine if the shift cable needs to be replaced?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

:welcome:

Not the expert with the 888 but I'm pretty sure you have to replace the inner core to the cable because it needs the end cut off. Then remove the outer jacket and slide it out. Need one of the experts to come in and advise

fetch

fetch

xeke123

Cadet
THANKS AllDodge, I was assuming that that is what I'll end up having to do. Look forward to "hearing" what an experts suggests.

I called and spoke with a Sierra tech just a bit ago and told him my situation and he didn't really have much to suggest other than I could replace with wither a Sierra PN# 18-2248 or PN# 18-2157, but he couldn't tell me which one. I guess my third question now is: What replacement shift cable should I use/choose?

alldodge

Staff member
THANKS AllDodge, I was assuming that that is what I'll end up having to do. Look forward to "hearing" what an experts suggests.

I called and spoke with a Sierra tech just a bit ago and told him my situation and he didn't really have much to suggest other than I could replace with wither a Sierra PN# 18-2248 or PN# 18-2157, but he couldn't tell me which one. I guess my third question now is: What replacement shift cable should I use/choose?

That I'm seeing three different part numbers which are based on your serial number.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...79&bnbr=1&bdesc=TRANSOM+PLATE+AND+SHIFT+CABLE

888 shift cable.png

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a favor and go with the latest setup 18-2603, you just need to retap the housing for aft entry

xeke123

Cadet
Thanks Bt Dctur. When I look up 18-2603, I'm seeing that this is for an Alpha I Gen II. Will this work on my boat? I am a bit confused by all of the different shift cables that have been suggested to me thus far and not clear of the differences of each. I see the benefits of retaping, but how does one go about picking a shift cable with so many options? How do I determine which cable will be best suited for my boat?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
That one will update the MC1, Alpha and the Alpha GEN II drive. All the cables are the same length ,so not an issue. The newer design is a larger better designed inner core.There is no need to measure or cut, the guide tube is eliminated that was crimped onto the core. The plastic guide on the aft end unscrews for installation so there no need for a special socket. to remove your old one ,cut it as close as you can to the gimbal and use a deep socket to remove the remains

xeke123

Cadet
Great info and answers my question(s). Thanks again Bt Doctur and AllDodge!