Starter noise

Supersean12

Recruit
I recently got a boat, shall say project boat we'll to start I ordered an ignition switch an starter just to see what the boat would do. And when I hooked it all up an turn turned the key I just get a sound and as if the starter kicked out an is spinning but not reaching the flywheel or so it sounds to me I'm pretty confused on what is going on so any help is better than no help at all

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Hi, and welcome to iboats. People are going to need more informaton on the boat engine and outdrive combo you have, including serial numbers. I'm no expert, but if the starter's new and not engaging the flywheel, there may be broken teeth on the flywheel. Reach down into the area where the starter gear and flywheel meet and see if everything feels okay.

Others will have more ideas, but get some usable info in here.

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently got a boat, shall say project boat we'll to start I ordered an ignition switch an starter just to see what the boat would do. And when I hooked it all up an turn turned the key I just get a sound and as if the starter kicked out an is spinning but not reaching the flywheel or so it sounds to me I'm pretty confused on what is going on so any help is better than no help at all

Are you completely sure your battery is fully charged? Yesterday I had 9.4 volts on a battery and I couldn't even get a "click" out of the starter solenoid. Put a charger on the battery (to add more available cranking amps) and I started getting the classic "clicking/ginding" from a starter that doesn't have enough amps. Left the charger on for a 1/2 hour and got the engine to turn over with a whirring sound; though still not at the clip you'd expect from a healthy battery. I'm leaving the charger on today w. a trickle charge and I expect my starter will turn over at a normal healthy rate. Pretty crazy the difference between 9.4 and 12 volts.

Moral of the story for me: Make absolute sure you have a fully charged battery before trying to diagnose starter problems.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Whatcha workin' on,..?? Boats have used alota motors, 'n drives over the years,.....