What engine block for a '99 5.7 EFI?

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought a new project boat. '99 Rinker 232 br. This one needs a new engine. It has a 5.7 efi w/ a bravo 3. Looks to me to be the 96+ 5.7 from the GM trucks. Is this correct? Pretty sure the heads are. Would like to find a decent core to start a rebuild on. Thanks!!
Plan to do a rebuild, use the mercruiser stock cam if it survived (or possible upgrade) and probably get new heads from Jegs or Summit ($350/each...can't beat that imo.)

Bondo

Staff member
Just bought a new project boat. '99 Rinker 232 br. This one needs a new engine. It has a 5.7 efi w/ a bravo 3. Looks to me to be the 96+ 5.7 from the GM trucks. Is this correct?Pretty sure the heads are. Would like to find a decent core to start a rebuild on. Thanks!!
Plan to do a rebuild, use the mercruiser stock cam if it survived (or possible upgrade) and probably get new heads from Jegs or Summit ($350/each...can't beat that imo.)

Ayuh,.... Ya got it right,.....

A Long Block from yer local GM Dealer is a pretty cheap, 'n easy way to go Boatin',....
The cam in 'em, is fine,... no reason to reuse yer old cam,....

alldodge

Staff member
+1 agree and will add, if you want that 232 to come alive is drop a big block in it, but that will cost a lot more.

The GM long block is the way to go

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Last edited:

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should I replace head gaskets with a "marine" gasket? Swap cams?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Should I replace head gaskets with a "marine" gasket? Swap cams?

If your in fresh water pop in brass freeze plug's..marine dist...and call it a day. The big catch here is the warranty any marine engine and you do pay extra for the warranty extended to marine product's aka enhanced liability.

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Those high hp ones look great but I'd be opening a can of worms I think with the efi. Definitely want to retain the efi and also don't want to get into a big dollar project now.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
If the vortec heads are good off your current motor just rebuild & use them. Those heads will give you all the flow you'll ever need and then some.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
unless you wanted to build one yourself, I have a late model vortec block that had some water in the oil and is stuck together and another fresh rebuid that developed a #8 rod knock Both in central NJ