1990 Bravo Transom Assembly

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Hey folks,

I am in the process of fixing the loose steering in a Bravo transom assembly. The engine is already removed for other repairs. The steering lever is loose on the swivel shaft. I have the nut almost off of the shaft with a wrench, and the steering lever would come off if there was room enough. The problem is the swivel shaft is frozen in the gimbal ring. All of the fasteners are loose, but it won't budge.... I have already tried penetrating oil with no success.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Hey folks,

I am in the process of fixing the loose steering in a Bravo transom assembly. The engine is already removed for other repairs. The steering lever is loose on the swivel shaft. I have the nut almost off of the shaft with a wrench, and the steering lever would come off if there was room enough. The problem is the swivel shaft is frozen in the gimbal ring. All of the fasteners are loose, but it won't budge.... I have already tried penetrating oil with no success.

Ayuh,.... I ain't lain eyes on that housin' lately, But,....

Continue the pen.oil treatments, 'n run the nut back on, just flush with the shaft,....
Shim away the space 'tween the housin', 'n nut/ shaft with steel plates or washers, or whatever works, then turn the nut off the shaft, against yer shims,...
Add pressure, oil, 'n tap on the frozen area, anyway ya can,....
Add pressure, 'n do it again,...

Any chance ya got air, 'n air tools available,..??
An impact hammer, 'n the right punch can shake things up pretty good sometimes,..... ;)

Hopefully, someone will be along, with hopefully, a better idea,......

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
I like the idea of shims between the nut and the housing! I will give that a shot... Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Hey folks,

Did you remove the pin out of the bottom of the gimbal ring?

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
No I didn't. There is no need to remove the gimbal ring itself. It's in good shape. I only need to remove the swivel shaft. It has moved about 1\4"so far using the shim method as suggested by Bondo, however it is slow going.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
No expert here, only pulled a few, but each time it was fairly easy to remove the bottom pin then remove the ring with the upper pin installed. The lower pin in most cases is easier to remove then the upper. Either way have a good one

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry, but something doesn't add up. You have slop so you want to replace the upper pin. Once the nut is removed, then the compression clamp bolt/nut is loosened both should slide right off. Once off the pin has an upper bronze bushing and a rubber seal. If the upper pin was worn then there should be slop between it an the pin, there so be little effort to remove a worn pin.

Also if the 4 sided pin is worn your probably going to need to rebuild or replace the ring. It just isn't adding up for slop.

As before it doesn't add up and I probably missed something so again sorry about that if I did

Bravo 1.png

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
There is no slop between the gimbal ring #1 and the swivel shaft # 14. The slop is between the swivel shaft #14 and the steering arm # 16. I cannot remove the arm, until the swivel shaft drops low enough. Don't forget the top of the swivel shaft, actually extends up into the gimbal housing about 3/4" once the top nut is tightened up.

Fun Times

Staff member
The slop is between the swivel shaft #14 and the steering arm # 16. I cannot remove the arm, until the swivel shaft drops low enough.
Sometimes just tightening down #'s 19 & 20 will remove the play.

Normally to lower/remove item # 14, there is a hole at the bottom of the shaft that you thread a slide hammer into and tap it downwards.

Is the bellows removed? The shaft may be resting on it as you run it down.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Got the swivel shaft out, and replaced it. It is now all back together, and the play in the steering is gone. Thanks for your help guys!