Replacing gimbal ring plus other recommend parts?

nvanzee

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys. Just signed up. I have an 01 Rinker with alpha one outdrive. Im in need of a new Gimbal ring. Im wondering what else I should replace while the engine is out? Put a new engine in before last season and I dont want to have to pull it again anytime soon. I already plan to replace the transom plate seal. Not sure if theres other steering parts i should replace also or maybe upgraded parts. What do you guys recommend? Got my tax return and ready to spend some money. Hopefully have some problem free seasons for a while.

Bondo

Staff member
Hey guys. Just signed up. I have an 01 Rinker with alpha one outdrive. Im in need of a new Gimbal ring. Im wondering what else I should replace while the engine is out? Put a new engine in before last season and I dont want to have to pull it again anytime soon. I already plan to replace the transom plate seal. Not sure if theres other steering parts i should replace also or maybe upgraded parts. What do you guys recommend? Got my tax return and ready to spend some money. Hopefully have some problem free seasons for a while.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer boat musta seen a hard life to need all this rebuildin' at this point,......

Ya just gotta tear it down, 'n replace whatevers worn out, or broken,...
No way to know just What, til ya inspect the various pieces,...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Why are you replacing the gimbal ring? If it is just loose ( side to side play) you may just need to re torque the gimbal ring clamping screws (55 ft lb) to tighten it back up, should be part of your annual maintenance.

nvanzee

Seaman Apprentice
Ive already tried to re-torque it. Had the boat since new ands its been very well taken care of. Don't think the gimbal was ever retorqued though. The motor replacement was due to the block cracking between cyl. 3 and 5. Which is a very uncomon place to crack. Anyway I was just wondering if there was any other commonly worn parts I should just replace while Its torn apart. Guess I'll wait and see what everything looks like once the motors out.

alldodge

Staff member
Ive already tried to re-torque it. Had the boat since new ands its been very well taken care of. Don't think the gimbal was ever retorqued though. The motor replacement was due to the block cracking between cyl. 3 and 5. Which is a very uncomon place to crack. Anyway I was just wondering if there was any other commonly worn parts I should just replace while Its torn apart. Guess I'll wait and see what everything looks like once the motors out.

You could replace the boots but if your boat sits on the trailer they may be fine. Note: best way to keep the drive is all the way down.

That said, I have to agree the gimbal ring or pivot pin to be worn after this amount of time is unusual. If your sure the gimbal ring is worn (need to people to check) then probably want to replace/check the pivot pin

nvanzee

Seaman Apprentice
You could replace the boots but if your boat sits on the trailer they may be fine. Note: best way to keep the drive is all the way down.

That said, I have to agree the gimbal ring or pivot pin to be worn after this amount of time is unusual. If your sure the gimbal ring is worn (need to people to check) then probably want to replace/check the pivot pin

Yeah I was thinking about doing the boots too. It sat in the water for two summers but other than that it's always on the trailer. Yup, outrive is always stored down.

I think the gimbal might have been OK if the problem was found a few years ago. I think its just been loose too long and is past the point of retorquing it. The out drive also has a little up and down play which I assume is worn out bushing.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Talk to these guys, http://www.jrmarine.com/ might be able to save you some money on a rebuilt ring. I would go with a new driveshaft and shift cable bellows. The exhaust bellows might be OK to reuse. Might be a good idea to replace the lower shift cable while you are at it.

nvanzee

Seaman Apprentice
I was actually gonna ask about them. Wonderd if anyone has had them fix a ring and had good luck.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Several years ago (before I knew what I was doing) my ring was pretty loose, so, thinking it was worn, I pulled it and sent it to JR. They said it was just fine, sent it back, and said all I needed to do was reinstall it and torque the bolts properly. Which I did and all was well. They even declined my offer to pay the return shipping, so I was really impressed with the great customer service, and believe that they have first rate products.

That is also why I am a retorque it first guy :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nvanzee

Seaman Apprentice
Alright, I will send it to them. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get it all tore apart.

nvanzee

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I'm finally getting around to fixing this. Does anyone know what size the nut is on top of the steering shaft?

alldodge

Staff member
Well, I'm finally getting around to fixing this. Does anyone know what size the nut is on top of the steering shaft?

I have my old one around somewhere but was not able to find it today. I think it is about 1 1/8