Distributor installation timing

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice
ok, so I made a mistake... I had to replace the intake manifold gaskets and when I removed the distributor I forgot to mark it, well I actually thought that there would be a notch or something where at least the body of the distributor would just fit in in one general direction and then just rotate it to adjust the timing.

So now I have everything ready but not sure about how to position the distributor. what do I do now?
Are there any marking I need to line up?

It is a 2000 mercruiser 4.3 v6 thunderbolt V ignition

please help
Thanks
Daniel

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice
I forgot to mention, I did not rotate the engine while changing the gasket so the distributor position should match the oil pump shaft but could be 180 degree each way?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
maybe maybe not. you could try it. see how its pointing and install the dist. if it spits and sputters is might be 180 out. in that case see where its pointing and reinstall it 180 out from there.

wrench 3

Commander
I forgot to mention, I did not rotate the engine while changing the gasket so the distributor position should match the oil pump shaft but could be 180 degree each way?

Some times the weight of oil in the system will flow back down through the pump and rotate the shaft. So don't count on it being in the same position that you left it.

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice
uh thank you Wrench 3, I tried what Bt Doctur said and it didn't work either way so I guess the oil flowing down really did moved it a little bit.
I noticed there is a flat side of the distributor and opposite of that there are the two wires coming out of it, does it matter how I position that?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Use the method in Bondo's post. If you have questions, just ask.

wrench 3

Commander
uh thank you Wrench 3, I tried what Bt Doctur said and it didn't work either way so I guess the oil flowing down really did moved it a little bit.
I noticed there is a flat side of the distributor and opposite of that there are the two wires coming out of it, does it matter how I position that?

If you still have the wires on the distributor cap, position it as if it was on the distributor and see how the distributor would line up with it. (The cap will only attach to the distributor in one position).
When you are aligning the oil pump shaft, remember that the distributor shaft is turning as it goes in. So you will have to position the slot slightly before its final position.