wiring diagram for 8-pin to round Mercruiser plug

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Boat actually has a Volvo, however stock wiring is for Mercruiser with an adapter harness. However I am cutting out the problematic round plug and simply splicing wires as the volvo plug is 12" down stream and the 8-pin rectangular plug is 12" up stream.

issue, I tossed the round plug a week ago. there is a faded brown or tan wire, and a faded brown or tan wire with a stripe. which one is for the trim so I can eliminate that connection.

alldodge

Staff member
Boat actually has a Volvo, however stock wiring is for Mercruiser with an adapter harness. However I am cutting out the problematic round plug and simply splicing wires as the volvo plug is 12" down stream and the 8-pin rectangular plug is 12" up stream.

issue, I tossed the round plug a week ago. there is a faded brown or tan wire, and a faded brown or tan wire with a stripe. which one is for the trim so I can eliminate that connection.

Its probably tan and a light blue with white stripe. Here is the color code
Merc Color Codes.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Have I mentione I hate chassing electrical gremlins....... now tracking an intermittant ignition wire issue. appears to be key switch as well. rebuilt engine harness, cut out the round plug with butt connectors, added an ignition relay to the harness as a safe measure. now looking for a new key switch.

Last edited: