mercruiser 302 188hp no spark

de1992

Cadet
I bought a 1973 sea ray 23 foot I believe it is the 888 mercruiser 302 not really sure what motor I know it is a 302 ford that's it the motor was ceased had to break it loose for some reason the motor won't get fire to spark plug is not even getting to distributor for some reason any ideas

Bondo

Staff member
I bought a 1973 sea ray 23 foot I believe it is the 888 mercruiser 302 not really sure what motor I know it is a 302 ford that's it the motor was ceased had to break it loose for some reason the motor won't get fire to spark plug is not even getting to distributor for some reason any ideas

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Is there Power to the (+) terminal on the coil,..??

If so, change, 'n set the Points in the distributor,....

de1992

Cadet
tanks man for the help
i put 12v test light on + side it was lighting up
on - it would light up and bink when crancked i belive so would have to check again
the guy that had it before me said that he had to replace the starter put he told me that - cable was not connect to starter but the starter is ground out to block so I Had to get solenoid for the starter I dont know if there is cable that's should run to coil from the solenoid

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
tanks man for the help
i put 12v test light on + side it was lighting up
on - it would light up and bink when crancked
i belive so would have to check again
the guy that had it before me said that he had to replace the starter put he told me that - cable was not connect to starter but the starter is ground out to block so I Had to get solenoid for the starter I dont know if there is cable that's should run to coil from the solenoid

Ayuh,.... Change, 'n set the points,....

The distributor cap, rotor, 'n plug wires are also suspect,.....

de1992

Cadet
what do u mean to change the points? im trying to upload of a picture of coil and wires easyer to see it haves like 2 gray on + side and two black wires and one of them goes to the side of distributor and the big coil wire to the center of distributor i dont know if it matters i went to the auto parts store to get the coil instead of the marnia

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
its cranking over so that's a good sign. you need 12v at the plus side of the coil. So if you have that, remove all the wires from the neg side of the coil.
using a jumper connected to the neg side of the coil, scratch the wire along a grounded surface,. This should generate spark from the coil Yes, No
hook a meter to the wire coming from the dist, crank motor, meter needle should move from a short to infinity Yes No
Hook wire from dist to neg side of coil, remove coil wire from dist and hold 1/4 inch away from a ground, crank motor, it should produce spark Yes No
Report your findings

Bondo

Staff member
what do u mean to change the points? im trying to upload of a picture of coil and wires easyer to see it haves like 2 gray on + side and two black wires and one of them goes to the side of distributor and the big coil wire to the center of distributor i dont know if it matters i went to the auto parts store to get the coil instead of the marnia

Ayuh,.... There's something called Points, inside the distributor, the primary side of the ignition, that fires the 2ndary side of the ignition(aka; the coil),......

If the Points are corroded, it Won't fire,....
If the Points are burnt up, it Won't fire,....

Up in Don'S Adults Only section, at the top of this forum, is a couple of Great guides for Points ignition,....
Trouble Shootin' Points,....
'n Replacin' the Points,....

de1992

Cadet
i checked the points it had a little rust so just took some sandpaper to it still no spark
i disconnect the two black wire of the - terminal nothing i made a mistake it haves 2 brown wires on + terminal instead of gray sorry i have to wait for a friend to help crank it so i mess with it later tryed to upload pictures wont let me upload pictures keeps say to big

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a 302 888 in a '75 glastron. Great engine, ...but to rule out anything...replaced almost everything. wires, plugs, points, cap, all of it. relatively inexpensive for good piece of mind. on my marathon (4 cyl, 165) did the same thing because the guy I bought it from forgot to pull the hull plug out before winter, filled with ice snow and water, corroded all the electronics. So for peace of mind, and to ease your hunt for the bad connection, replace the easy stuff. if you got it turned over, great..... compression, ignition, fuel.... keep it simple. its not rocket science. replace suspect wires. test lights and multimeters really help to figure out where the connections are broken. My best friend? Mercruiser manuals. Helped a noodlehead like me figure stuff out! good luck!

de1992

Cadet
thank you all i got spark it had rust on points still having problems have to clean carb but it fires had to spray carb clean to hear it run for 4 sec :) any way to check the fuel pump to see if it is pumping gas jets not spraying

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are excellent guides from don s here to help troubleshoot fuel issues and pump issues