Alarms

jdg207

Recruit
have a 97 formula 27 fastech with a 502 mpi ... was cruising back to marina from a 2 hr ride when my alarm went off.... stopped,checked temp and oil and all was fine.. waited with engine off for a few and started back up....no alarm....so I took off. After abit, alarm came back on and repeated the same steps....got to marina and checked for codes...got 4 of them...ks error, ic/bypass error, map sensor error and ect error.....does anyone out there have any insight they can share with me...gonna have to figure it out before I use it this year...thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, welcome to iboats!:)

Since you all of a sudden have 4 codes, most likely you have a problem that the ECM isn't seeing the correct 12 volt power. It could be either 12v positive power or negative ground so you'll want to check all your power and ground cables and wires for loose connections or corrosion. Sometimes you have to remove each cable or connecter to check and clean as needed.

Also check with using a multimeter what your 12v power is at multiple spots on the engine and helm area.

Hope it simple to find, good luck.:)

wrench 3

Commander
Also might be worth clearing the codes and running it again, and see what codes come back.

jdg207

Recruit
what about the alarm horn? Its just for oil pressure and water temp....and they both checked out ok...:cool:

alldodge

Staff member
what about the alarm horn? Its just for oil pressure and water temp....and they both checked out ok...:cool:

You can also get a constant alarm if you drive lube bottle is low. There could be others depending on what MEFI module you have. Would be able to determine with the engine serial number

jdg207

Recruit
am aware of the outdrive oil level that can give alarm but this also was at the correct level...

alldodge

Staff member
It could be one of the sensors is going bad. Next time it goes off pull the wires off the temp switch, drive lube bottle and oil pressure switch. If the alarm goes off then it is the last wire you pulled. If it doesn't go off then we could use your engine serial number to find out what computer your running, Not knowing which one it is the following can also cause a constant alarm

3.) engine overspeed,
4.) exhaust manifold cooling temp overheat
5.) sea pump PSI low.