MCM 140/#1 Drive Yoke Seal Replacement

Alumarine

Captain
Just want to verify that the only special tool that I need to replace the Yoke seal in my 1982 140 #1 drive is the Retainer Bearing Spanner Wrench.

I was going to order one if it's the kind of job I can do myself.
I have the manual and it seems straightforward but I could be missing something blatantly obvious.

I have a slight leak that I need to repair.

Thanks for the help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
possably a new yoke if it is grooved.,or a speedi-sleeve repair

Alumarine

Captain
Thanks a ton for the very "speedi" response:joyous:. It's appreciated.

Just realized that I might want to replace the Upper Drive Shaft Oil Seal.
Does that require any special tools or can I just lift out the driven gear assembly to get at the upper seal and then put it back in place?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
No reason you cant aslong as your not changing bearings or gears. Did you preasure test to verify were the leak is?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you need to split the unit first, then remove the vert shaft, then drive the oil seal from the bottom up into the gearcase, the driveshaft seal is driven downward from inside the case.

Alumarine

Captain
No reason you cant aslong as your not changing bearings or gears. Did you preasure test to verify were the leak is?

Not changing any bearings or gears. Just the seals.
Was worried that it might involve special tools other than the spanner wrench.

Was also worried that it was more involved than making sure I torqued everything properly when putting it back together.

I did a pressure test and I have a leak at the yoke and the upper driveshaft seal.
thanks

Alumarine

Captain
you need to split the unit first, then remove the vert shaft, then drive the oil seal from the bottom up into the gearcase, the driveshaft seal is driven downward from inside the case.

Ok thanks, that's sounds doable for me. I've already replaced the lower seal so I'll try and be careful not to wreck it.