Mercruiser power trim

rgodales

Cadet
Yesterday we went out and the wires from the control for the trim started to melt when i use the trim underway. While not moving or in the trailer they worked fine but i had to cut them bec they were melting really bad.

Any ideas of what is going on. If i use the 3 button swith it works fine. Issue is with the control switch.

alldodge

Staff member
Yesterday we went out and the wires from the control for the trim started to melt when i use the trim underway. While not moving or in the trailer they worked fine but i had to cut them bec they were melting really bad.

Any ideas of what is going on. If i use the 3 button swith it works fine. Issue is with the control switch.

Switches on the handle and 3 button switch somewhere else. Is this an outboard? Where are the 3 buttons located?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... If ya got the 3 button switch, it didn't originally Have the controller switch,...

That said, My guess is whoever wired the controller switch, wired it to carry Full voltage, rather than to the solenoids, like it Should be,......

What's the Vintage of yer driveline,..??

rgodales

Cadet
Is a mercruiser i/o. Control switch is on the handle and the 3 button is on the dash.

rgodales

Cadet
I wired it and yes that is what i did. Ups!!!

How do i wire it properly.

Boat is a 1971 crestliner aluminum try-hull.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is a mercruiser i/o. Control switch is on the handle and the 3 button is on the dash.

That doesn't help. What year and model Mercruiser is it? Someone wired in one too many switches

Bondo

Staff member
I wired it and yes that is what i did. Ups!!!

How do i wire it properly.

Boat is a 1971 crestliner aluminum try-hull.

Ayuh,.... Follow the wires for the 3 button switch, 'n run yer switch wirin' to the same connections at the solenoids,...

rgodales

Cadet
For the year and model i will get back to you

The 3 button switch is from factory. I added the 3 button one and just spliced into the 3 button red, blue and green wires.

rgodales

Cadet
Ayuh,.... Follow the wires for the 3 button switch, 'n run yer switch wirin' to the same connections at the solenoids,...

So not at the 3 prom switch but strait into where the red, blue and green wire connects? Also what gauge wire should i use. The switch i think is like 16 or 14.

Bondo

Staff member
For the year and model i will get back to you

The 3 button switch is from factory. I added the 3 button one and just spliced into the 3 button red, blue and green wires.

Ayuh,... Got any pictures,..??

Obviously, ya got Something wrong,...

Bondo

Staff member
So not at the 3 prom switch but strait into where the red, blue and green wire connects? Also what gauge wire should i use. The switch i think is like 16 or 14.

Ayuh,.... 16ga would probably work, but I always use 14ga, myself,....

rgodales

Cadet
Ayuh,... Got any pictures,..??

Obviously, ya got Something wrong,...

not with me. The strange part is that it worked fine on the trailer but it melted when underway.

I do think is too much voltage but not sure what i did wrong. I will try to get some pics and post

rgodales

Cadet
There you can see the 3 button switch

Attachments

• 20141009_072239.jpg
    20141009_072239.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member
rgodales said:
The strange part is that it worked fine on the trailer but it melted when underway.

I do think is too much voltage but not sure what i did wrong.
Do you have an amp gauge or volt gauge at the helm? With the engine running, you'll also want to verify your voltages readings using a multimeter.

I see big speakers in the bow of the boat. Did you change/upgrade the alternator to help run the amplifier? Or different battery setup/wiring setup?

Just wondering if maybe you have to much voltage with the engine running since you say it's fine while on the trailer which the engine should be turned off, correct?

rgodales

Cadet
The voltage reads 13.9 the highest i have seen.

The speakers are gone. Part of the remodel :)