Bravo III . . . aahhh phooey !!!

alldodge

Staff member
UPDATE:

I ordered 2 bearing carrier assemblies for the 2 outdrives. $385 each . . .

I am wondering if I will have to fiddle with the shims at all, or just go with what is there. :noidea: IIRC there is a total of 0.048" in shims . . . one of the outdrives might be slightly less.

How do you know there are .048 in shims, did you remove the bearing retainer nut, race and shims?

tpenfield

Staff member
The bearing carriers arrived the other day . . .

Here's $800 sitting on the table :rolleyes:

IMG_5841.JPG

I'll probably bring the outdrive home this weekend so I can work on them in the garage over the next few weeks. Still pretty cold to work on the boat itself.

Attachments

• IMG_5841.JPG
    IMG_5841.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 16

tpenfield

Staff member
UPDATE:

I have done a little work on the outdrives. . . . drained the starboard outdrive down and last night, removed the old bearing carrier and installed the new one. Here are a few pictures:

Since I did a bunch of work on the outdrives last year, I have the tools and the bearing carrier came off without much fuss.

IMG_5876.JPG

I had replaced the seals last year, and upon close inspection it looked like no oil was getting past them. So, it appears as the carrier housing itself may have cracked as it was grossly corroded.

IMG_5877_2.JPG

Here is the new bearing carrier installed.

IMG_5878_2.JPG

I'll probably complete the other outdrive in the next day or 2 and then do a pressure test on them both.

tpenfield

Staff member
How's the end play

I did some checking of the end play, but not having the correct gauge, it was an approximation using my digital caliper . . .

I got 0.012" on the port drive and 0.020" on the starboard drive . . . so it looks like they are both in spec.