Carb Kit Question

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone. I am rebuilding my carb over the winter for my 3.0l mercruiser. On the carb there is a green tag with the number 1389-9562 on it. When I went to Sierra's website and looked at their online catalog, it says that the carb kit is Sierra part # 18-7098-1. I found that part number here on the Iboats parts store, and want to order it, but I want to have a second opinion to make sure this is correct.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Can we have a serial number for your engine please...

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the response. I have my boat in storage. I pulled the carb off before putting it there. So unfortunately I can't go get a number right now. I have a binder I keep with all the info on my boat in it along with all the receipts etc... I'll take a look and see what I can find.

wrench 3

Commander
By Sierra's listing that does look like the correct part. However, if we had the engine number we could get the Mercruiser part number for the kit and check that against the Sierra number.

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's the number I have listed. It's a 1987 MCM 3.0L S/N B523519

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the confirmation. Hence why I come to this site for EVERYTHING.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The tag on the carb is the manufacturers part number for that carb. The Sierra number is the part number for "a" carb kit. The two numbers are not related. To make this a little more clear, assume the number on the carb tag is 12345678, and that carb is on a 1987 Chevy 350. Using the Sierra cross reference book, that carb would take a Sierra kit part number xx-yyyy-01. On the other hand, if the carb tag was 87654321 and was from a 1987 305, it might take Sierra kit part number yy-xxxx-02. You are dealing with three manufacturers. The engine (GM), the carb (Rochester, or ????) and Sierra so you need to know how to use reference books just like choosing an oil filter or plugs for your car. That carb number appears to be a Rochester two barrel so you could take that tag number to a GM dealer and likely get a kit for it. Or you can take that number to NAPA and they can provide the kit. Or you can likely get it right here on iBoats. The package may have a GM part number, a Rochester part number, a NAPA number, or a Sierra number depending on where you get it. As an example, I once owned a snowmobile with a CCW (Canadian Curtiss Wright) and in the search for a gasket set, I found one at a Mercury (snowmobile) dealer in Wausau, WI. There were two bags. The outer bag had a Mercury part number and logo. Inside was another bag with CCW logo and their unique part number. Repackaging and reselling is a very common practice so you need to know how to use parts books and cross reference listings.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As it turns out, that number on the carb tag is a Mercury Marine number for a MerCarb carburettor. GM wouldn't recognise it. NAPA might.

Chris.......