Repair shop disprepancies

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I normally do all my own repairs and preventive maintenance. My alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive had an oil leak that was leaking into the bellows. The weather has been cold lately, and I've been busy at work, so I took my outdrive off, and brought it to a local repair shop instead of re-sealing it myself. The repair shop broke my U-loints pulling them out, and they charged me to rebuild and reinstall the U-joints. I asked for a quote to install a new raw water impeller, and they installed it free of charge. (I supplied the parts)

$700 later, I got my drive back and started to install it. The shift shaft seems to have been installed incorrectly, as if the drive were counter rotating. If I recall correctly, that is a pretty easy fix. I'm on the fence about taking the drive back to the shop and having them repair it correctly, or just writing the shop off as silly-asses and doing the work myself.

alldodge

Staff member
With the shift foot facing forward the prop should lock up in the counter rotation direction

Last edited:

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
700 is STEEP for those repairs!They had the yoke out anyway.Then they assembled it wrong? Probably need to separate and clock the splines in the lower.I would definitely be letting them know.

thumpar

Admiral
$700 does sound steep. You could have bought a new SEI upper for that.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You don't rebuild U joints ,you replace them, and yes the price is a bit steep