260 merc fuel pump questions

turbopirate

Recruit
recently bought a 24 ft glasstec with a 260 merc in it. got it running on a jug at the moment.the boat currently has an electric air craft fuel pump on it and its locked up tight. im wondering if I can switch it to an old manual pump that runs off the cam or is there a reason it has the electric pump. the motors all stock with a quadrajet carb and I see no reason for the electric pump and the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. any insight is appreciated

wrench 3

Commander
Welcome to iboats.
As long as it's not a vortec block (they have no hole for a mechanical pump) you could put the mechanical pump back on, but make sure it's a marine pump. The quadrajet carbs tend to be hard to start after sitting for a week or more. The electric fuel pump does give you the option of priming the carburetor before you try to start it.

Last edited:

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
And just when I thought I'd heard it all! :facepalm: I'm amazed at the shite that people will cobble up to try and save a buck or two. Get the proper marine rated mechanical pump (you're going to need the push-rod, also), and put it on. The OEM part# should be 86246T, but the aftermarket pump from you-know-who is about 50 bucks cheaper.