Inner Transom Plate Compatibility

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forum member Fun Times pointed out to me in another thread I might have compatibility issues w. a SeaRay rebuild project I?m doing. It?s a 1982 w. twin MCM 260s, built in 1981. It originally came w. MC1 sterndrives, and the matching transom assemblies are still on the boat. The actual sterndrives are shot and I?m going to be replacing them w. SEI 106s. I happen to have a spare transom assembly from 1986 and I was going to use it to replace one of the older transom assemblies in worse shape. But after the heads up about the compatibility, I looked at the flywheel housing from my MCM260 and compared it to the 1986 transom plate and sure enough, they don?t match up. The MCM260 engine mounts are spread quite a bit wider than the 1986 transom plate?s mounting holes. So my question is: Can I take the inner transom plate off my 1981 assembly and substitute it for the 1986 transom plate and keep the rest of the assembly? This would allow me to mate my MCM260 w. the rest of the newer transom/gimbal pieces, right?

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yes, the engine mounts are 14" (thereabouts) for your current inner plate and about 10" for the newer one....

I haven't tried to match up a later MC-1 inner transom plate with a 'R' or later gimbal housing. As long as the old gimbal housing has the trim sender on the sides of the gimbal ring, the holes should line up. (For the earlier MC-1 housings the answer is a definite NO). As for everything else, I just don't know. You may be the one to tell us. :D

Chris......

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thanks. Yes, the gimbal rings have trim senders on the sides; pics attached. So if I did need to use the old transom assemblies, shouldn't I be able to bolt an SEI 106 right up to it?

Attachments

• photo214817.jpg
    photo214817.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214818.jpg
    photo214818.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 0

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
The SEI106 will bolt straight on to either your 1982 or 1986 gimbal housing...

Cool. Well at least I've got that card if I need to play it. :cool:

I'll report back about compatibility issues once I get to that point. Should be a year or two. :joyous: (just kidding)