1975 merc 888

Speedenbull

Recruit
I have a 1975 merc 888 i/o. Where the bellows mounts to the transom by the gamble bearing is ate or should say mostly gone.I have a good plate but would like to use a 76-83 if it will bolt up . Just to get away from spline steering pin . Been looking all over and can not find anything on it though.I know if I go to new with the hole works my motor mounts and ex will not line up.
What I need to find out is if I can just change every thing on the outside of the boat to 76 to 83.I know I need ring and gimble housing and transom plate.But will it bolt up to the inside part.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hi Speedenbull and :welcome: to iboats...

Not sure if I get what you are looking at. If I read correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong, you are looking for a gimbal housing in the 1976 to 1983 range. That would mean you're looking for a gimbal ring with trim senders, and that's not compatible with your current inner transom plate. If you want to change to the later MC-1 gimbal, you're going to need the whole lot. You'll need to open out the transom hole slightly at the sides and plug 2 of the holes and re-drill them (slightly higher if I remember correctly).... As far as the engine mounts go, as long as you stay with MC-1 gimbal and inner plate, the 888 will drop straight on. The rear engine mount spacing changed in 83, from what you have (about 14") to the current spacing (about 10")....

Chris.......