470 lower shift cable

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to change my lower shift cable in my 1977 470 mercruiser and I was considering changing my bellows at the same time as im not sure when they were changed last. Is this something I should do or will I get myself into trouble fixing something that isnt broke? Anything else I should replace while im in there? Thank you

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Check the bellows for condition. Any signs of the rubber deteriorating is an indication they need changing. If they still look as good as the day they went on, leave well alone....

To check them, just swing the steering hard to PORT and thoroughly and carefully examine the expanded section of the bellows. Swing the wheel hard to STARBOARD and do the same. That is where you will see the first signs of the rubber starting to crack/split/deteriorate... Also, if you generally store the boat with the drive trimmed UP (which, incidentally is advised against in the owners manual, but who reads those :facepalm:) you'll want to check the underside as well....

Chris....

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah yes I do store it with the trim up, so bellows are probably necessary. Does anyone have a part number for bellows and where can a person buy quality ones from?

achris

1977 means MC-1. As you're also replacing the shift cable you have a few options. As far as the best quality, I only used non-OEM once, many years ago... Since then, never anything but....

So, your options.

1. Just the bellows you want (uni joint) part number is -60932A4 (only comes with the hose clamps). I would buy a shift cable with a bellows and bell-housing gasket if you don't need/want to change the exhaust bellows too (part number -865436A03). Total about $155.

2. Buy a kit with all 3 bellows (uni, exhaust and shift), a gimbal bearing and bell-housing gasket, part number 30-803097T1 (called a 'Transom seal kit'). For this you just need a bear shift cable kit (because the shift cable bellows and the required gasket is in the transom seal kit), part number -865436A02. Total about $275.

And as I said, I would not consider anything but OEM with any of these items.

You're also going to need bellows adhesive...

Buy from any Merc dealer or on-line store. I would avoid ebay and the like as although they use the OEM numbers, the parts are generally not OEM...

Chris.....

Last edited:

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am not trying to hijack.I think the question applies. Chris,when doing a shift cable alone how do you proceed? Remove and reuse the current bellows if in good condition?I think it would be hard to reuse and not mess it up during removal.Thanks

achris

I am not trying to hijack.I think the question applies. Chris,when doing a shift cable alone how do you proceed? Remove and reuse the current bellows if in good condition?I think it would be hard to reuse and not mess it up during removal.Thanks

I've reused plenty of them that are good enough not to need replacing. Use dish washing liquid when pulling the old cable out and putting the new in. Use a 'pull cord' so you get the cable path right, and toss that stupid metal clamp away (the one that's supposed to go on the small end of the bellows), use a double wrapped cable tie of the appropriate size...

Chris.......

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you so much I will have to get a good look at everything before i make a decision on what to order, im trying to get ready for next season before it gets here.

bspeth

So you do remove the bellhousing and then re install,is that correct?

bspeth

Sorry if I am lacking experience,can you explain the process? It seems it would be very hard/impossible to tighten the shift cable sheath in to the housing with the cable properly routed prior to doing so.

achris

Once the old cable is out and you're ready to install the new one, you can either slide the cable through the bell-housing and out down to the ground and screw it in like that, then proceed to thread it into the boat, just make sure the bell-housing is tipped right up and the steering pulled hard to port so you create the largest possible bend radius,

or thread it through the boat and just spin it in-situ before you push the inner in...

Chris....
HTH.