transom leak

raulduke52

Cadet
after extensive wasting of valuable time i have triangulated my transom leak to the white plastic water tube that passes thru the gimbal then into the water pump. it has a rubber donut on either end to seal out water. it passes thru below the water line. i believe the outer and inner gaskets are leaking after 20 years in the deserts of nevada. has anyone ever backfilled that space with silicon or similar to block water from entering the boat? thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
why not do the correct repair, remove the bolts, replace the dounut do the correct repair, remove the bolts, replace the dougnut. the plastic tube may have cracked and no amount of sillycone will fix that.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It would be far easier to do it right, loosen the hose clamp, pull hose, pull 2 bolts, yank old grommet and replace with a new one. You would have to do all of the same steps except for trying to squeeze that ooze evenly into the hole.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class
has anyone ever backfilled that space with silicon or similar to block water from entering the boat? thanks.

You will be the first, or should I say, first to admit. :)

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Its not that bad of a repair,the bolts are on the inside.Do it with the drive up.Pull the water intake hose from the inside,I put the transom side of the hose on the tube and pull it back through with a mouse,one man job.2HRs.