#1 Drive Shaft Housing Question

Alumarine

Captain
Hi there. I have a 1980 #1 Drive serial 565xxxx and have a question about something on the starboard side.
I'm in the process of cleaning it up for painting and on the port side there something that feels like it's covered in silicone seal.
I can't find it shown on any parts sight or in my manual.
Before I mess around with it I was hoping someone could tell me what it is.
Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
its called a "welch plug" and seals the shift cable area. Its factory purpose was to allow the drilling of the water passage ,then the drill hole was plugged. This welch plug seals the manufacturing hole. I have a housing if needed
7/8 19-32652 Sierra 18-4272
1 1/4 19-42682 Sierra 18- 4278

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
Great, thanks a lot. I wanted to know how much trouble it was going to cause me if I messed with it.
I'll get out the wire brush, clean it up and see what's going on.
I suspect it was leaking there and the PO "fixed" it. I think I'm about to find out why it was leaking!

So, it's just water behind that, not oil?

Bondo

Staff member
Great, thanks a lot. I wanted to know how much trouble it was going to cause me if I messed with it.
I'll get out the wire brush, clean it up and see what's going on.
I suspect it was leaking there and the PO "fixed" it. I think I'm about to find out why it was leaking!

So, it's just water behind that, not oil?

Ayuh,... The shifter cavity should be full of Air, not water, nor oil,...

Alumarine

Captain
Ok, I scraped off the paint and silicone and out popped a rubber plug.
I'll replace it with a welch plug and maybe some aviation seal?

The pipe plug with the slot does it seal a water passage? Should I remove it and reseal it?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Nope, leave it alone, did you find water in that cavity or any corrosion damage to the shift cable?

Alumarine

Captain
Nope, leave it alone, did you find water in that cavity or any corrosion damage to the shift cable?

Ok will do. Doesn't look like there was any water in that cavity as the grease residue from the shift slide seems good.
I have the drive in my basement but won't get a chance to check for corrosion damage to the shift cable till the snow goes.
I will be changing the shift cable anyway.
thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You can still buy the welch plug new from Merc... Part number is 19-32652... I'll cost you less than $8....