bravo 1 ring carrier anode

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I just got done reassembling my 1990 bravo 1 drive, painting her and now all I have to do is to put the anode kit I just got on her. One question is in the kit there is a anode for the barrier ring. I looked on the carrier ring and there is no place for one, no screw holes or anything. Am I missing something here or am I just overlooking something?

alldodge

Staff member
I just got done reassembling my 1990 bravo 1 drive, painting her and now all I have to do is to put the anode kit I just got on her. One question is in the kit there is a anode for the barrier ring. I looked on the carrier ring and there is no place for one, no screw holes or anything. Am I missing something here or am I just overlooking something?

Not all Bravo drives have them installed. There should be two screw holes in the bearing carrier item 31and should mount behind the lock ring.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&inbr=952&bnbr=90&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING(BRAVO+I)

Use two 10-32 x .625 screws and washers.

ericcarr2000

Ensign
So I need to take a retainer ring off in order to do this then? I thought that the anode went just behind the prop...

alldodge

Staff member
So I need to take a retainer ring off in order to do this then? I thought that the anode went just behind the prop...

No, the ring is not removed. Look for the 2 screw holes behind the lock ring (actually called a retainer). The below image is not a Bravo but note the two screw holes
Carrier Assy.png

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Gotcha. I looked closely but can't see anything that looks like screw holes so I'm assuming mine never had one,

alldodge

Staff member
If it was mine I would do some wire brushing and painting on that. Mask off the shaft and around the seal area. Don't see getting all the corrosion off, but over time it will do the drive in.
fetch